What is on your bench with this change of seasons?

Janel

I think that I am done with the dragonfly/lotus pod piece. My hand was non-functional last night when I stopped, so many little surface details, tiny, tight-fisted-tool-holding movements for five hours. Final review today and photos, to be posted as soon as I am able to. The surface is almost all texture, except for the seed surfaces and the eyes. Mammoth tusk is a lovely material to work, though lighting is tricky sometimes when trying to illuminate minute surface detail while working on it! More later.

Janel

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

Question for Magnus....

I really like your beads and especially the first. I'm wondering how you did the coloring, maybe you can teach us?

The other bead, is that with leave gold? I tried to use leave gold but it dosn't stay on the wood, so what can I do????

I guess you can help me with this as well!

Thanx

Cheers B_art

Hello B_art,

Thanks for the compliments. What you see in the first three photos are all views of the same bead - (back,side and front view) This carving is still in the wax form ( I posted a tutorial a while back on the process I use to carve and cast these beads) - the colours you see are merely from watercolour paint I used to get a better definition of form in the photo.

I will be casting this bead in bronze and can then play around with using patinas for effect.

I will hopefully get some actual wood carving finished soon and post some of that.

By the way - I really like your koi carving you posted recently.

Cheers,

Magnus

Greetings to all !

Dear masters!

I congratulate you on Day of Gratitude!!!

I wish kind health and success in creativity!!!

Thanks for display of your works!

Is very glad to see them!

At us too the winter, is a snow. There is a beautiful sea and clouds, too storm and amber on coast...

797a79edb83c.jpg

b7c370dac260.jpg

e986e6bf41d6.jpg

Here my works on a table.

I regret, that my English is bad.

With best regards, Slava

Hello Slava,

I enjoy your English. It reads like poetry, and leaves room for the imagination.

Thank you for sharing the images of the amber you have collected. When I was a young girl, we walked on the shores of Lake Superior, and dug in the pebbles on the beaches to find agates. They are not the same as amber, but the searching and discovery, the amazing beauty, and simply being active on a beach with the fresh air and sounds must be a universally enjoyed activity, whether finding agates or amber.

Will you be carving these?

Thank you for your kind wishes.

Janel

Janel,

You did it again! Congratulations with another very, very nice piece.

And to all, please keep posting your work. Looking at TCP is a great way to start the day.

(btw, I miss Ford's namastes, is he away from home?)

Leon

Thanks Janel, Brian, Mike, Magnus!

Brian, these masks - my orders.

Amber from our sea. I have found only small slices. It very difficultly and dangerously.

Janel, thanks you!

At you fine work, thin and expressive, I congratulate you!

I yet do not cut out from amber.

I wish good luck! Slava

Thanks guys! :D It came together quite nicely after all the parts were completed. It was a pleasure to work with this material. I also enjoyed making something that is quite compact, which is a departure from many of my other pieces :D .

Janel

Hi janel,

Really nice piece you made! So you told you made it out of different pieces? Can't tell the parts....

Maybe you like to make a tutorial next time about how you carve the ivory and how you do the polishing etc. I really like this piece!

I was talking to a friend of mine, wich is a master in bonsai. And he asked me why we do not place our carvings in (or on) a surrounding. So it's more in it's element...

Like your piece Janel, if you put it just on a glass plate ( like how you displayed them before ) it might not get the atention it should get. (hope you folow what I mean...)

So I would like to know what you think about it...

Cheers Bart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Also, it’s been some time since the last posting. Those illustrations of the latest blades in this thread are AWESOME…… Sergio, par excellence again, Janel, another about to take flight. Star Wars netsuke !!! ?? All Fantastic! And a whole heap more words in response to work being shown in the forum would fill many pages.

These days life in this realm is keeping me going flat tack!

October, just gone, saw me immersed in the Big Sur Jade Festival in California. What an amazing event! One I will surely be returning to next year.

The Tucson Gem Show will be another first for me as I’m booked to fly over in Feb. and am excited to experience this global attraction.

Some years back, a friend who had experienced the internationally known Jade Festival, exposed me to a particular rare ‘blue jade’ found in the Jade Cove area. Aspirations in acquiring a sample of this ‘blue’ was one of my hopes when going over. To my great fortune I was able to obtain just that. Since returning I’ve carved the first piece from this incredibly unique stone. As illustrated here. About 2.75 inches in length. The 'Blue Tendril' using the olive rind as a highlight for the tendril.

Also, by great fortune, a dark blue pebble found its way into my hands. Following the Festival this pebble was subsequently carved as a demo at a 6 day jade carving workshop conducted with fellow jade sculptor, Deborah Wilson from Canada....... http://www.deborahwilson.bc.ca

post-97-1198107909.jpg

post-97-1198107943.jpg

post-97-1198110449.jpg

post-97-1198110486.jpg

Hi Donn!

It is very good to hear from you! I wondered about your attending the Big Sur Jade Festival. I wish I could have had the freedom to travel there to meet you.

The new jade, blue and gently colored, is lovely to see. Thank you for sharing the images of this new work.

The Tucson, Arizona Gem and Mineral Show will be February 5th through February 17th 2008. I hear that it is a huge, city wide event, though I have never attended it. I hope that you have a great time there!

Thanks for tuning in and showing us the new work with the special blue jade!

Janel

Hi Donn!

It is very good to hear from you! I wondered about your attending the Big Sur Jade Festival. I wish I could have had the freedom to travel there to meet you.

The new jade, blue and gently colored, is lovely to see. Thank you for sharing the images of this new work.

The Tucson, Arizona Gem and Mineral Show will be February 5th through February 17th 2008. I hear that it is a huge, city wide event, though I have never attended it. I hope that you have a great time there!

Thanks for tuning in and showing us the new work with the special blue jade!

Janel

Wow, there is a lot of beautifull things ....

I'm sorry to don't post more often....my english is bad, and it's difficult for me to read all the post...and more difficult to answer...

in this moment , I'm working on a mammouth ivory sword pommel.

Here is a closer view of the begining:

post-104-1198328687.jpg

And here is a view of the begining of the ebony carvd handle:

post-104-1198328774.jpg

you can see the damascus sword blade here:

http://www.elfic.fr/scrimpages/epee.htm

Hello Greg,

It is good to see your new work, and to see you here again. I hope that you will post more images as these pieces progress.

I compliment your effort to use English to communicate with the forum members, it is very much appreciated. From this side, you are doing very well with the English you write. Thank you for the effort you must be putting into translating your thoughts.

Janel

Archived