What is on your bench with this change of seasons?

Janel

Nice work Sergio, Donn and Greg.

Here's a little carving I made because a lot of hours carving clams (or more accurate 'between clams', see other topic) made me wanna do something different.

Its snakewood and silver. (Inspired by the little treasures Janel made, hope she doesn't mind.)

post-1629-1198342971.jpg

post-1629-1198342987.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bean seeds are simple and wonderful to admire, and to carve them is a nice treat. Not to worry, how can I claim bean carvings for only my own interpretation? There is not so much to a bean that would make the resultant carved piece so different from one artist to another.* Your use of the sliver root is a departure from my little ones, since I have yet to use the metals for my materials. Nicely done :rolleyes:. What is the little white inlay?

Janel

*Such a statement could be easily challenged by the endless ways each carver would approach doing a bean carving, I am sure. I smile thinking about how each of us from TCP might respond to such a challenge, while using one's own style, experience, techniques and various mediums we use with our work.

Don and David,

Great work on the knives. Be very glad that I don't live next door. I would be annoying you a lot. I have admired the work of Don Fogg for a long time. I have been busy building my grandson a treehouse. It is almost finished, only have to wire it for electricity.

To all, beautiful work and as always, an inspiration for me.

Question for all. I am thinking about buying a new electric carving tool. So many to chose from and so many different prices. I was looking at a Turbo carver (not sure of the name) it turns about 400,000 RPMs and has a misting system. Good for carving antler as it reduces the dust. Any comments on tools would be greatly appreciated.

Don

Thanks, Don.

The knives by that Fogg character are, and have always been, outstanding!

Along with a Foredom type rotary tool, I also use a smaller Micro Carver. It's a 50,000RPM model with interchangeable collets. Came from http://www.woodcarverssupply.com/store/ Mine has the speed control on the bench with a on/off foot pedal. It has some torque to it, but not nearly as much as the Foredom. I don't know how well the Turbo Carver is going to remove material.

The pictures are of a Persian I'm working on right now. The carving is now pretty much complete and I'm about to heat treat the blade and finish grinding it, then start on the fittings and handle.

This has been a great thread. It's nice to see the work of other carvers.

David

post-2-1204249693.jpg

post-2-1204249734.jpg

• 2 months later...

It is almost Spring in the northern hemisphere and nearly Autumn in the southern hemisphere. What is on your work bench now? Is anyone working?

I am between major pieces, but have made a couple of bases to put under carvings since finishing the ryusa. Oh, I did start a little sliver of mammoth ivory for a bean pod yesterday. My main work for the past weeks, among many other pressing responsibilities, has been to prepare pages of narrative, with photos, for a particular, potential something or other. I mailed it in today, to my great relief, and will know something by the end of April. It has been very challenging trying to work at the studio, and to do the preparations for today's deadline, and handling numerous other things that could not be left until next week. Life has not been boring here! I apologize for not having a larger more responsive presence here since my return in mid January from the Collectors of Wood Art forum.

When I get back to the studio, I'll take a shot and show you the mess my bench is in.

Janel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Magnus,

These were the first pictures. I did a rough sketch on paper of a frog in the position, and one female tree frog in the aquarium is obligingly staying in her position during my carving hours for more detailed references.

I started with a piece of wood that was a little more than half an inch thick, length as long as you see and about the width that you see. Not much room to work with, but with an angled cut to the base, the piece takes more space, just a little. I sketched the position on the wood, and used a coping saw and hand saw to do the cutting of the shapes. I will snap a photo of the pieces of wood in the negative spaces, if that helps at all.

This piece is moving along more quickly because it is only frog and branch. No leaves or difficult hidden spaces to work on. I plan ukibori on both frog and branch. Maybe if I take more photos it should to go onto another topic.

More later, Janel

Vjacheslav,

I am not sure of the origin of this boxwood. It was a gift from another wood worker. I will see if he knows where it came from. Sorry to be vague.

Ralph, which snail and little lady bug, by whom?

Janel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm hesitant to post this pic because it's in such an early stage of carving. It is an Egyptian seated figure made from purpleheart wood. It's a chore, and I'm heading into uncharted waters with the fine detail portions that will follow the hogging out phase. Any suggestions are welcomed. I use a Foredom rotary tool with a foot control. I notice that the handpiece gets quite hot and I'm forced to wear a glove.

Hello Mike,

Wow, what ambition. I've used purple heart as spacer rings on some of my canes and had trouble just shaping them so I know what you must be going through with your Egyptian.

I'm still making my way through the old posts so I don't know if you've finished it or not. I definitely want to see it when it's completee.

Also, it’s been some time since the last posting. Those illustrations of the latest blades in this thread are AWESOME…… Sergio, par excellence again, Janel, another about to take flight. Star Wars netsuke !!! ?? All Fantastic! And a whole heap more words in response to work being shown in the forum would fill many pages.

These days life in this realm is keeping me going flat tack!

October, just gone, saw me immersed in the Big Sur Jade Festival in California. What an amazing event! One I will surely be returning to next year.

The Tucson Gem Show will be another first for me as I’m booked to fly over in Feb. and am excited to experience this global attraction.

Some years back, a friend who had experienced the internationally known Jade Festival, exposed me to a particular rare ‘blue jade’ found in the Jade Cove area. Aspirations in acquiring a sample of this ‘blue’ was one of my hopes when going over. To my great fortune I was able to obtain just that. Since returning I’ve carved the first piece from this incredibly unique stone. As illustrated here. About 2.75 inches in length. The 'Blue Tendril' using the olive rind as a highlight for the tendril.

Also, by great fortune, a dark blue pebble found its way into my hands. Following the Festival this pebble was subsequently carved as a demo at a 6 day jade carving workshop conducted with fellow jade sculptor, Deborah Wilson from Canada....... http://www.deborahwilson.bc.ca

Hello Donn,

The blue pod and green tendril is really wonderful. Yyour ability to utilize and control the piece in separating the natural color division in the stone is stunning.

Hello TCP artists,

Thank you posting pictures and sharing your work.

I am in awe each and every time I view the next sensational piece. The imagination, design challenges, choice of materials and execution that goes into each creation is deeply appreciated by me when I view your masterpieces. As I struggle to complete one of my carvings, I imagine the sheer talent and determination each of you must possess in order to bring your designs to fruition.

My grateful thanks to you.

Archived