Operculum

Guest Clive

Hi all...

Has anybody ever used Operculum or come across its use in Japanese art? The picture is of the Operculum of the Turban shell which I think is often refered to as Pacific cats eye, but what I'm interested in is larger forms... perhaps from Conch?

Cheers

Clive

post-75-1196956304.jpg

Hi Clive,

The northwest native Americans and Canadian First Nations peoples who lived along the Pacific coast used operculum (the front doors of certain snail shells) in lots of their wood carving and jewelry. It was also quite a trade item, but I've never heard of it being used in Japanese art. Maybe the Ainu, who have a remarkable similarity in their traditional arts to northwest native American art?

PS How's the arm doing? Are you back to carving?

Thanks guys... I've found out that there is rare specie of pacific conch that was used as an inlay material in Japanese art and some of the material is being source for me... I'll post updates.

Hi Tom... not carving at full steam yet... apparently there's been some nerve damage so its a wait and see situation.. very frustrating... I might take up chainsaw carving!!

Archived