In Progress

JimmyO

Hello my name is Jim Olivencia. I'm a lurker with a 1st time post. My background is in hand engraving but the last couple of years I have been doing some coin carvings and Hobo Nickels. And would like to get deeper into carving.

This is a $50 1oz. gold coin and was commissioned by a client. Coin originally had the Indian Head on front and Buffalo on reverse- just like the 1913-1938 buffalo nickel. I call it Railroad Tycoon, long story short, he was a gold prospector with dreams of someday building a railroad. The reverse is of a locomotive scene that completes the story. Which when I get it to my liking I will post pix of that. I used silver and copper inlays to contrast the gold. Still with much detail left to be done I thought some would like to see and comment.

post-167-1199299428.jpg

I thank you all for the comments and interest. First with .9999 pure gold it is very soft and gummy, not to many other alloys or metals are softer i guess. So I chose to use copper and pure silver for inlays.

An inlay cavity is prepared let say .010 deep and the perimeter of the cavity is cut like a dove-tail.

Now the fun part... cutting your inlay to fit.

I will either trace the cavity with a fine pen and a sheet of transparency or do a ink n tape pull and transfer it onto copper or silver sheet stock- in this case also .010 thick.

Cut it out with jewelers saw. Or with "snips" - jewelry supply stores carry all kinds that do different things.

Swiss files are good for final shaping to fit.

Once your inlay material (copper) is ready, it is best to make sure that it is DEAD SOFT. With copper this is achieved by heating it cherry red and letting it air cool.

Place copper in cavity and hammer in so the copper spreads into dove-tail cut. It does not take much for it to "grab" and this coin will not be played with or flipped across the table, so no need to worry about inlays coming out. Now precious metal inlays on a gun are more percise and done more carefully to insure they are set and wont ever come out.

Now you can smooth and finish as you see fit.

Now this coin is only an 1 1/4 round so you can imagine that the tools are very small on the gold is very soft.

I hope this gives you some idea of how to do. If I was talented enough to give you visuals I would. Ray Cover has a DVD out which shows how to do gold inlay on a knife bolster and there are some tutorials on an engraving forum as well.

Enjoy and thanks

Archived