Grapefruit wood and the Bily Clock Museum

Janel

Yesterday when I was in Iowa, I stopped to see the Bily brothers clock museum. What a remarkable story behind the wonderful work of those two men. Talk about carving for the joy of carving! These guys never sold anything and upon their wishes, the collection of their works remains intact in their home town of Spillville, Iowa. I wish that I could give you detailed pictures, but no cameras allowed.

Bachelors, no television, and farming for their living allowed for thier creative hands to fill the hours with carving and designing.

The thought and composition of the huge clocks decorative elements fills me with admiration and appreciation. One big clock has 57 panels, each with a scene carved in relief, with an inscription or title carved at the bottom of the panel. One brother designed the clock, the other was the carver. Have a look at the web page.

http://www.bilyclocks.org/More.html

One of the woods they used is grapefruit wood. It looked like a clear, fine grained wood, light in color. Does anyone know about this wood, how hard it is compared to what other sorts of wood?

Janel

Very interesting. Currently I live a few hours north of the cutoff point for most citrus (they cant take a freeze) but I have lived in the past near old groves of oranges and other citrus. Sadly, many of these beautiful trees will probably be cut and burned/chipped to make room for walmarts and the like.

::Woodhunting thoughts are percolating::

I know quite a bit of Medieval sculpture was carved out of Lime...but I never knew whether it was the same as the citrus (seeing as the tree is called English Lime...) hmm

• 9 months later...

Archived