Collectors of Wood Art Forum 2008

Janel

Collectors of Wood Art Forum, Scottsdale, Arizona January 17-20, 2008

The Collectors of Wood Art is committed to the development and appreciation of studio wood art, including turned objects, sculpture and furniture, among collectors, artists, educators, art critics, galleries, museums and the general public.

There will be speakers, artist's presentations (I've been polishing a PowerPoint slide show) who will have ten minutes apiece to present themselves and their work to the collectors, a Museum Curators' Panel, tours of the Arizona State University Ceramics Research Center at ASU and the ASU Art Museum Exhibition and reception, An Artists' Panel, other speakers and more food as a group.

I am looking forward to this gathering, and to the mid-6o° temperatures and sunshine!

Any Carving Path members in the region who would like to get together while I am in AZ, I will have Sunday the 20th afternoon to Tuesday evening with a little free time to do that. Please email or PM me before Tuesday Jan. 22, next week.

Janel

Janel,

Sound interesting and the weather should be delightful. I will not be able to reach Scottsdale that weekend I am scheduled to attend a Metal Bashers demonstration at that time. I am sure you will have a great time there. I lived in Scottsdale for a few years when I was younger and it was an active art center back then as well.

Please report back to us on your experiences.

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

I bade farewell to the sunny 60+°F weather of Arizona to return home to -22°F at home in Minnesota! Startling difference between the latitudes!

The CWA forum was well attended with a mix of wood collectors, artists, museum curators and gallery people. The speakers, from curators to artists, were very interesting, well supported with PowerPoint slide shows to illustrate their topics. We saw artist presentations each day, some in panels, and some in formal artist presentation periods. How rich an education this was, to be introduced to the passion and growth in each artist's work.

One gallery was set up at the forum center, del Mano Gallery. They brought a truck load of wood pieces from 2" to 6+feet tall. There were many small carved pieces, including some work by Jacques Vessery, one of our TCP members.

I was pleased to be one of the presenters, to finally be able to illustrate my history with the PPt slideshow, how I got to where I am today with my work. Now, to this group, my descriptive words of the past work makes sense. Words alone just don't do it sometimes!

Thursday evening, following the opening speakers, we toured the Old Scottsdale gallery district, and saw wood shows on display. After meetings on Friday morning, and early afternoon, we toured Arizona State University's Ceramic Research Center, the Wood classroom/building, and the ASU Museum was open to only our group, with tour guides by the director and staff. The next day, after meetings, we were welcomed into the homes of two major collectors who live in the area. One home was much like a shrine to George Nakashima, and the owners invited the grandson of GN to present history for the work and maker, and to introduce himself as a wood worker, trained by George Nakashima. We ended the tours with visits to two wood worker's studios.

I took no photographs, sorry. This forum was a very rich experience for me. I am glad that I attended it and had the opportunity to speak with and learn about the others who were there.

Now to assimilate the knowledge and move forward!

Janel

Archived