remarkable ceramic sculpture

Guest ford hallam

Guest ford hallam

Morning all,

i just came across the work of a ceramic sculptor that is rather remarkable. I thought those of you with an interest in figurative work might be interested so here's a link to her site.

As they are smaller than life-size and the material is carved at some point, I'm sure, I reckon they qualify to be seen on this forum :blink:

I think the idea of being reminded that we are all just children is lovely...a happy start to the week. Maybe I'll be nice today.....

Namaste, Ford

p.s. it's fun trying to spot the famous paintings or photographs of adults etc that the children's poses refer to, if you don't cheat by reading the label first :D

Guest ford hallam

Hi Debbie,

yes, they are quite startling and I bet the effect "in the flesh" so to speak, is even more disconcerting. I believe the finish is built up with many layers of paint, of some sort.

regards,

Ford

Hi Ford,

yes, Judy Fox`s sculpture is remarkable.

One could associate her work with Ron Muecks. But I think she following an older tradition and adds a somewhat disturbing aspect. Techniqually as well as from the iconographic point of views she is proberbly a keen connoisseur of baroque art. Painting on plaster, wood or terracotta figures was at an acme at the time of the Counter-Reformation - the Chuch as a kind of Hollywood of the the baroque age :D .

Asam Church - Munich

The iconographic use of childhood at this time ..

Francois Boucher

Caravaggio- Amor

becomes somewhat provoking when transferd into the 21. century. This intellectual play Mrs. Fox plays is rare nowadays. Thanks Ford for adding this.

Karl

Guest ford hallam

Hi Karl,

glad you saw all that, I thought she was an intelligent artist too. As you say, a rare thing indeed :D All the layers of reference and with the suggested implications etc make for a satisfying experience.

cheers, Ford

Thanks Ford,

I enjoyed seeing her work. I must say the top abstracted pieces did nothing for me all, just my taste. Her figurative work is really well executed and the references to past paintings was an interesting visual twist. There is something disturbing about some of the pieces although I can't put my finger on what it is. The combination of the portrayal of maturity, child like poses and the antique hair styles makes for great visual impact..well thought out. When the site comes back up I plan to study the pieces further.

Mark

Archived