Portrait Sculpture in Bronze and Plaster

Phil White

Hi all,

With the recent interest in sculpture, as well as things different, I thought I would post a couple of photos of my most recent piece. OK, so it's not small, actually, it is slightly larger than life, much like the subject, but here it is none-the-less.

post-1087-1200618916.jpg

Plaster

post-1087-1200618949.jpg

Bronze

Any and all comments welcome.

Phil

Great work Phil!

I assume it is a portrait commission. Takes a brave and confident soul to take on that kind of work. I have been asked but know my limitations, just out of my league.

Do the pictures illustrate how different materials cast a totally different feel and sensibility to the work or am I imagining things?.

Again, a great job and even without seeing the subject it is a very life like and personable work.

Mark

Guest ford hallam

Hi Phil,

impressive work. I bet you were worried about losing your head should it not please. I think it safe to say yours will remain safely in place. I imagine also that you didn't have the luxury of actually having the lady present and had to work from photos.

Namaste, Ford

Hi Phil,

Beautiful work! Did you do a clay, rubber mold, plaster, rubber mold, wax then bronze? Or clay to rubber mold, wax then bronze? I know that this sounds like a stupid question to most people but I often do a plaster as a middle step so I can refine details. Do you do the chasing and finishing or have the foundry do that part? I always felt I had to do all of the finish work (and still do on small pieces) but now I let the super craftspeople at the foundry do all the big stuff. Again, Great Job!

Dick

Hi all,

Thanks for your kind words!

The portrait was commissioned by the House of Commons. It seems strange, but there wasn't an official portrait of Queen Elizabeth here, at least until now.

The process that I followed was to use the mold from the clay model to cast both the plaster and the wax. The two are virtually identical in form and detail. I did all of the chasing, filing, etc. of the casting myself, and was there to supervise the patination.

Re. the time involved, it took approximately 1 1/2 months, from the research/design stage (unfortunately, from photos) to the finished sculpture.

There really is quite a difference in the look and feel of both materials. Also, what some of you may be picking up on is that it was my intention that the portrait have a different look, depending on what angle you see it from. From one angle she appears very strong, but from another angle she will have a much more gentle look. My photo of the bronze isn't terribly accurate, with regards to lighting or the actual presence. I find that bronzes are quite tricky to capture accurately. It was photographed by a professional photographer, with much better results. I will ask her if I can post her photo.

Thanks again,

Phil

Archived