Something old, something new.

Guest ford hallam

Guest ford hallam

Morning all,

I've been engaged in a debate elsewhere on the net and used the following images to make one of my points, so I thought I might as well share them here too.

This one was made in 1993 and is a copy of an older piece by Hirata Hikozo. It's a copper alloy with some traces of added "impurities"

This one was also made in '93. It's sentoku, but after far too much handling and neglect it is a little worn now.

and this is an iron one I'm working on now. The patina is being developed at this stage. I intend to add some inlay work of an iris etc in the lower right hand corner. The surface was carved etc just like the recent snail piece I showed.

Namaste, Ford

Guest ford hallam

Hi Amati,

thank you for your kind compliments. ;)

Yes, the surface is created completely by carving. here is a link to some images showing how I made a similar piece.

If you'd like to see some other work you will find some here. The thread goes on a bit and I added various images as it progressed.

I have been intending, and promising ;) , to get a site up with tutorials and other instructional material but after 3 attempts with different groups of "experts" I'm beginning to think I will have to learn how to do it myself. In the meantime you may find some stuff of interest in the metalwork section on tcp.

Namaste, Ford

Hi Ford,

Nice pieces. (of course ;) )

But please enlighten me.

Because I'm only a layman I can't see the difference between the results of handling and neglect, and the ment result of patina.

Sometimes with netsuke but I think more often with tsuba one wants a look as if the piece has a history.

I expect a thin 'line' between 'patina' and 'worn', between '2007' and 'copy of 1880/1700/...'.

What is your aim?

Patina?

post-1629-1200658899.jpg

Guest ford hallam

Hi Leon,

In the context of coloured metal work we use the word patina to refer almost exclusively to the solid ( opaque) colour that is artificially applied when the piece is first made. With some bronzes, and of course silver, there will be some further change over time but in general the pieces are conceived with the colour as a relatively stable component.

The other, more general meaning, the gradual build up of gentle, fine scratches, wear, discolouration etc would also apply with metalwork but there is a point at which such refined pieces are altered too much for it to be regarded as a positive addition. It's a delicate matter as to when a piece needs to be cleaned or have it's colour enhanced. In my opinion, if the bare metal is showing through then it could do with a little help. In my pale example ( the photo is a little unfair actually ) the patina has been worn thin by too much handling. Sweaty fingers can leave very ugly , and indelible, marks on soft metal ( ie; non ferrous ) fittings too, there is point at which that just isn't pretty anymore :(

As to my aim, well, I'm not trying to suggest my work has any age, ( perhaps timelessness ) it's just an aesthetic expression that suggests some of those qualities. The whole wabi, sabi, shibui, yugen aesthetic is a world unto itself...I'd need a couple of days to adequately explain my involvement but I think you probably have enough understanding of the basic aesthetic to appreciate my desire to emulate certain "un-contrived" aspects ( how's that for a bit of Zen paradox? ) of this philosophy. I am also very strongly motivated to work my metal in such a way as to allow it to appear as though it simply is, and has not been subject any overt interference on my part. I do try to juxtapose this particular expression with other, more obviously refined and delicate touches as a way of bringing more attention back to the less obvious. Signposts to reality? Is it possible to make something like this that appear utterly natural? I don't know...but I'm going to give it a bloody good try ;)

so that's what happened to my shorts... ;)

cheers, ford

Archived