Heron Spike Stiletto

tsterling

Here's a carved dagger I just finished, based (loosely) upon the antique stiletto dueling weapon. This one was a bit of a stretch for my metalworking skills, straight-sided diamond cross section blade, and a forged copper habaki-like thingy made from a single piece of 1 inch diameter copper rod that was hot and cold forged on the blade itself. Stick tang, peened over a copper hilt. More carved and forged copper in the little fish skeleton as well. All told was about five days of work. Lots of fun!

Thanks for looking!

post-11-1201145471.jpg

Guest ford hallam

Hi Tom,

that's a really interesting concept and nicely done too. You've inspired me to perhaps make a sculptural knife myself, ta :blink:

Namaste, Ford

Nice piece! I am a skull collector and have numerous bird skulls from the coast. Good adaptation for a heron skull. That is just a really unique interpretation and a truly insightful approach to a dagger.

I am definitely impressed and amazed by your ability to take coastal wildlife and turn them into knives.

Mark

Hi Tom,

you`ve created a fine piece. Just the recess from the "habaki" to the blade interrupts the flow of the work somewhat. The overall appearance reminds me on a Misericordia or "gnadgott" daggers.

post-1151-1201170207.jpg

These daggers were made of a single piece of steel. They were used to finish off the wounded enemy - pushed with the whole bodyweight through his armour.

:blink:

Karl

Archived