Web Jelly 2

Rik Palm

Well, these are not very exciting but I hope their interesting (please let me know)

I didn't get all the shots I wanted or needed but here's three more pics in the sequence (I'll do better next time)

I took the jelly roll billet and welded/ folded it 3 times, squared it up and drew it out. I then twisted it and then welded it up again. I drew it out again and ground off the scale and did a quick etch to see the pattern. I know this pattern is not very exciting but this is only a look at the outside (like the skin of an onion) the real pattern is inside and when its cut it will show. But I wanted to see it anyway.

I also (no pics) hammered out a knife from part of the billet too. I'm curious to see its pattern. The only problem might be, is I think I hammered it to close to shape. Not allowing me to cut into it enough and expose the pattern but we will see, I hope I luck out.

anyway, thanx for looking

I only twist about 3-4 inches at a time, also I'm using a adjustable wrench that I welded a piece of bar stock on to help keep the twisting even.

twist

I'm heating it up to flux and weld

forge

Finished twisted billet ready for welding

fluxing twist

I just ground off the scale and did a quick etch.

quick etch

Nothing too exciting just some progess

thanx

Rik

Thanks Rik for the continuing illustrations for the process of creating this wonderful steel for use with your blades and other things. I can imagine that until you cut into the surface, you are in suspense, much like a potter waiting for the kiln to cool enough to see the true colors and textures of the new pots within.

Thanks again,

Janel

Archived