Drawings forNew Bead

Hi All,

Tom's wonderful absracted Heron dagger inspired me to finally do a Great Blue Heron design for a bead. I think Tom's piece is totally unique, where as I decided to use a more usual approach to these awesome creatures. The final drawing was done "actual bead size" at 50mm diameter. I have not started to carve yet, but will post a wax and flip side of bead soon. Would love to get any feedback you all have.

Magnus

post-239-1201894953.jpg

post-239-1201894979.jpg

Hi Magnus,

I like your beads very much. Especial how you work with patterns.

I'm sure this one will be great.

Only, this time your pattern behind the head of the bird 'pulls' him back.

Your drawing on the left of the last one shows more motion. I would look for a pattern that contributes to that illusion.

But these are only minor remarks, I wish I could draw like you!

Thanks for sharing.

Leon.

Thank you Dick, Leon and Tom,

Leon - good comments - you are noticing something that was nagging at me as well. I often find that when I go from a quick sketch that has a certain dynamic energy in it to a more studied pen and ink drawing there is a loss of that energy.

I will try to regain that in the carving by yet a new adjustment of pose and balancing the weight of the border pattern with the birds head. I appreciate the feed back.

Magnus

The energy in the 1st sketch is reflected in the excitement and the enthusiasm of bringing a new idea to light. However the more finished piece, in my opinion, should be more polished and should give way to design improvement . Sometimes an idea of mine will start out on a napkin or "post-it" sketched with a Sharpie. Next will be a more "refined" sketch, usually in pencil. I'll use this one for a working model. (However) some of you guys could use your design drawings as a stand alone piece of art. I respect that!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Magnus- I looked at your drawing of the heron and fish and Islamic calligraphy just popped into my head. In particular the Bismillah.

bismillah.bmp

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_calligraphy for an intro to calligrams if you're not aware of them yet. Your rendition has such a calligraphic flow to it.

-Doug

• 2 months later...

Archived