Precious Metal Clay

Robert Mayo

Hello folks i was wondering if anyone has any exp. with p.m.c. i purchased some for decorating the tanto fittings i am working on

and was hoping you could give me some tips on using it.

When i fire it will it fuse to the fittings or will i have to solder it on after?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Bob

For the non-metal folks, what is "p.m.c."? Oh duuuhhh! I just read the topic title! I am still waking up I guess!

Is there a shrinkage factor from clay to metal transition to consider when making an element to fit the already metal parts?

Janel

Hi Robert,

While I have not used it myself, I have a number of aquaintences who have - what I do know is that the binder that allows the metal to act as a moldable claylike material is burned away when you fire the piece and you are left with a rather porous metal - I've never tried forging or soldering it but I would never use the stuff myself as I like "metalsmithing" too much.

That being said, I have seen some pretty cool things made from p.m.c.

Best wishes,

Magnus

Hi Bob,

I once played with the stuff. I needed a small silver ornament because the wooden carvings I made didn't work out as expected.

I carved in wax and made a few starfish from that mold. Just pushing the clay in and out. It took less than two hours from start to finish.

The stuff shrinks by 9% so fitting can be a problem and like Magnus said, it's probably not a good idea to bash it with a hammer.

Soldering is no problem, I have seen that a lot.

Here's one, it's 12 mm.

post-1629-1202285024.jpg

Here's the desktop box.

post-1629-1202285048.jpg

The box is cherry, the lid from Quercus Ilex (Stone Oak? Translated from Dutch, we call it 'Vinegarwood' too.)

post-1629-1202285083.jpg

Well, it's not much, wish you luck.

Leon

Here's a little bit of info here on the forum of some PMC I used in the past. You can pretty much do everything to PMC that you can do to fine silver. Whether you can fire the PMC on your fittings depends on what they're made of, but you can definitely solder them on. I've been using a paste solder lately that eliminates some of the typical solder problems, like running everywhere you don't want it to go.

PMC

Here's a little bit of info here on the forum of some PMC I used in the past. You can pretty much do everything to PMC that you can do to fine silver. Whether you can fire the PMC on your fittings depends on what they're made of, but you can definitely solder them on. I've been using a paste solder lately that eliminates some of the typical solder problems, like running everywhere you don't want it to go.

PMC

Thanks Tom could you tell me where i can get some paste solder.

Thanks Tom could you tell me where i can get some paste solder.

I got some plain solder paste from http://www.popsknifesupplies.com/

If you need silver solder, you can get that from jewelry supply places. I noticed Rio Grande had some last night when I was perusing (and drooling) their catalog. http://www.riogrande.com/ You'll have to set up an account with them to use their internet site. Also try http://www.ottofrei.com

Hi Janel,

I just glued it with an epoxy glue.

- And sorry, I know I shouldn't but it was a fast epoxy too. It was six hours before opening of a small exhibition! (And 6,5 before it was sold :D )

For shiny silver you have to polish. A bonus is the little amount of black in the lower parts.

Leon.

Archived