Stephen Myhre type tools wanted

Guardian

Go here to see my early Myhre style tools (among others) which were made from easy to find materials. Not the kind to ooo and ahhh over, just high speed drill bit butt ends, and pin punches from Sears, but they work and it was easy to get started. They may not hold the edge of a fine tool steel but so far they have worked well for me.

I may have used a rotary tool on very low, with water just under the grinding place, to dip the stone and the tool in to keep it all cool. I have also used only whet stones, with water, to grind the small ones.

Janel

Go here to see my early Myhre style tools (among others) which were made from easy to find materials. Not the kind to ooo and ahhh over, just high speed drill bit butt ends, and pin punches from Sears, but they work and it was easy to get started. They may not hold the edge of a fine tool steel but so far they have worked well for me.

I may have used a rotary tool on very low, with water just under the grinding place, to dip the stone and the tool in to keep it all cool. I have also used only whet stones, with water, to grind the small ones.

Janel

Thank you -- I will check that out -- I just cannot make heads or tails out of the pictures about the gravers in his book, and the lashing I have done differently -- the "winding the loop on itself" throws me off,so far I always have wound the thread over a loop and threaded the end of it through the loop sticking out and then pulled on the loose end...maybe I should learn to read english better...it bugs me that I cannot figure out the ground sufaces he talks about, I have made stone adzes and can't see a comparison...and yes I make my own engraver tools, guess I'll just figure out what I need on my own and take all the hints I can get from the awesome artists on this forum...thank you so much for all the tutorials, you people ROCK !!

Archived