Navajo medicine man

Hello, first, excuse me for my bad english (see the "who's who" forum)

I didn't dare show my work here because scrimshaw is not carving...but Don Fogg mail me to do it...then, I do!

Here is my latest scrimshaw, A Navajo medicine man on water buffalo horn, from a picture of Curtis

height 6 inches, width 4 inches.

medicineman.jpg

If you want, you can see other scrimshaw on my webpage

Thank you!!!

what are you using to highlight the 'etched' lines? Is it just the color change you get from scratching horn, or some type of pigment?

you can see your scrimshaw without pigment when you work on horn, but it's better with pigment, more visible. I use Indian ink on ivory and acrylic (titanium white) on buffalo horn.

Wow!.... yes.. Wow! is a good word !

Excellent!!

Greg, I found a very neat book on indian pics recently. It has some of Curtis's photos but alot of others that I've never seen before. I gave Karen Shook and Jim Batson the info on it at the Reno show. I can see if I can find the darn book (I've become a book collector it seems) and pass the info on to you if you want? its a small book 6x4 $12 maybe. my email is rikpalm (at) knifesmith (.com)

It is a really nice piece!

Rik

Thanks Ricks!!!

(I want to tell you I love your photography!!! you have a incredible sense , (a sixth sense?) for the centring, composing...)

I am interested by the book but I would like to know two things: - are the other photographs of Curtis too (I have a portfolio of more than 500 photographs of him)? - are the photographs large anf good quality? Because for the scrimshaw, I need a double size picture ...

Here is a verry good link for good quality photographs of Curtis, you can clic on the picture and have a verry large size...

http://webdoc.sub.gwdg.de/ebook/ga/2004/cu...fs_plate001.htm

exemple

http://webdoc.sub.gwdg.de/ebook/ga/2004/cu...ss/plate031.jpg

Thanx Greg!

I'll check to see, I know I quickly bought the book because I didn't recognize any duplicates, but I believe he has some in there. I have a copy of the folio sized 18x24 curtis book. You could always take a digital pic and enlarge it in the worse case. I know after showing it to Dan Winkler we agreed that finding other indian image books other than Curtis's was tough.

I'll look for the book tonight. The book was on spirit, and the image purpose was background for quotes. I was excited to see the actual names of the indians included.

Rik

Hi Greg,

The title of the book is "Indian Spirit" the book says that these photos haven't been published before. The author mentions that he went through the photos at the Library of Congress for them. But I think I've seen some of them before, not sure.

here's the Amazon link Indian Spirit

Looks like I paid too much!

Rik

BTW: the book is 5 1/2 x 6 1/2 and about 1/2 inch thick

Archived