New member from Canada

Stuart Samuel

Hello there everyone.

I'm a 27 year old metalworker, living in Toronto, Canada. Right now I fabricate custom light fixtures for a small company, and on the side I silversmith, producing mostly hollowware, such as pitchers, vases, etc. I spent three years at George Brown College here training as a goldsmith, but decided I liked working a little bigger, and left just before graduating.

I'm hoping to pick up ideas that I can use in my work, directly, in making knops and handles, and indirectly, in the use of textures and forms. I find it stimulating to see what other people are working on, and I feel like it keeps me opens to new approaches to familiar problems. Seeing what other people are making has really got me interested in adding less conventional materials to my work, like antler, or wrought iron.

I don't have any decent photos of the few pieces I'm happy with, but I'll take some in the next few weeks, so people can see what I'm up to.

I came here through Don Fogg's bladesmithing forum, which I've checked almost daily for the last few years, for the same reasons I'm interested in this forum.

I'm also enjoying hearing what Karl Carvalho and Hiloboy have to say, as my wife is from Wahiawa, Oahu, and I was just in Hilo, Hawaii, two and a half weeks ago.

I'm hoping to pick up ideas that I can use in my work, directly, in making knops and handles, and indirectly, in the use of textures and forms. I find it stimulating to see what other people are working on, and I feel like it keeps me opens to new approaches to familiar problems. Seeing what other people are making has really got me interested in adding less conventional materials to my work, like antler, or wrought iron.

I don't have any decent photos of the few pieces I'm happy with, but I'll take some in the next few weeks, so people can see what I'm up to.

Hi Stuart

I have been working on some draw handles myself, so will be interested in seeing your photos when you post them! Do you produce the finished product or hand it on to someone else?

Cheers

S

Archived