Hello All!

Raphael

Hi everybody.

My name is Raphael, and i'm fron Ohio. I have not started any kind of carving yet, but hope to start very soon. Right now I am collecting information on bone Carving and trying to find where the best place to start is.

Raphael

bones are very easy to get. I see two options:

a. go to your favourite butcher and ask for a cow's shin bone. Ask them very nicely to saw off the two ball ends. And if they are very nice, ask them to saw the rest of the bone lengthwise so that you have at least one flat portioned blank (does that make sense?). Take it home, clean off all the meat and marrow and then in a big pot of water, with some mild clothes detergent bring to the boil and then SIMMER for an hour or so till all the stuff is cleaned off. Take off the water, let cool, and then clean off all the residue. You can leave in the sun to bleach further if you want. I rarely wait. Start work!

b. depending on where you live, some pet stores stock cow bones that are white and sterile. These can sometimes be a good place to start. No Prepwork involved. Just make sure they're not filled with liver or something :)

as far as tools go, ANYthing that gets the job done can be a tool. One can start with a few files, a hacksaw and a sturdy carving knife. Having said that, the ability to create tools to suit your needs is very useful. A cheap bench grinder and some sharpening stones, along with some tool blanks can help there.

cheers and good luck. Doug is absolutely right. Just start!

-t

I carve deer antler. You can purchase it from Moscow hide and fur. They have a website. I use a carbide burr in a dremel tool and use a carving knife to scrape and smooth. A metal graver is used to make fine details and scrape hard to reach areas. Best way is to just start carving. Good luck.

Archived