fiddle-head power

Jim Kelso

The Winters are long up here, with record breaking snowfall this season and still a fair bit of cover in the woods. Spring is coming as a revelation. Put me in a mind to make some homage, so here is an offering of a small stump with fern fiddleheads determined to make their way up and through last Fall's Beech leaf.

The stump is Black Ash burl(carved from slab). Carved, Burned, brushed, blasted and oiled.

The end-grain lid is Chestnut shibuichi with traces of fused gold "moss". Beech leaf in copper and fiddleheads in 22k gold.

post-4-1208453061.jpg

Lovely, Jim! What's the size? Reminds me a lot of some of the "nurse" stumps we have locally here in the Pacific Northwet (as you well know!) with entire little communities growing from them.

Did you know that fiddleheads are edible (steamed)? Something like asparagus...

Thanks Tom. It's about 80mm the long way and the ferns are 18mm tall off the lid. You can see relative to my thumbs in my avatar.

I did know that some are edible although the usual cautions apply to all wild foods. Don't eat what you don't know to be safe.

My neighbor brought some to dinner a few years ago and half of us got sick, one rather violently. We never knew why exactly.

Here are some close-ups

post-4-1208483138.jpg

post-4-1208483152.jpg

Thanks for showing that Jim. The stump survived admirably from your beatings :rolleyes: There's something still holding me back from experimenting like that and seeing what comes of it. Your success is good inspiration.

Tom- I like the idea of a nurse stump. Very appealing.

Jim- one more thing. Out of curiosity, was there a particular collector in mind for this? I ask because I'd imagine there's a limited audience for kogo, but it could just as well be enjoyed as a small box, obviously.

Thanks Doug & Dick.

Doug, I do have someone in mind but not specifically because it's a kogo. Small boxes seem to have an almost universal appeal, and I certainly wouldn't limit it's use to that. :rolleyes:

The nurse logs and stumps of the Pacific NW are amazing, especially in the rain forest. Here's one from near Snoqualmie Falls, nearly 2 meters tall tall.

post-4-1208528191.jpg

Thanks very much Magnus,

Yes the ferns are a handle. And here's a shot of the underneath. I forgot to mention that in keeping with the springtime idea the stump is meant to be a willow and inside is a willow branch in katakiri-bori. I'll get a shot of the interior later.

Cheers,

Jim

post-4-1208561486.jpg

How did you do the fungus.

Dick

Hi Dick and thanks. Do you mean the ferns? I'd be happy to explain but there is no fungus. Just the stump body and the lid which is the decaying stump top. Then the leaf and ferns. Perhaps you mean the stump top.

Jim

The gold moss is 18k plumb solder paste that is fused to the lid after all the detail is engraved. You can see in the photo that I actually applied a lot more than I ended up with. I spent quite a lot of time engraving away what I thought was superfluous. The photo shows the lid with a coating of flux to prevent oxidation and alteration of the base alloy and the solder ready to fuse laid on the flux.

Also a document describing the details of this piece which you are welcome to download.

post-4-1208642922.jpg

TenderMessenger.doc

Thanks for showing that Jim. The stump survived admirably from your beatings :rolleyes: There's something still holding me back from experimenting like that and seeing what comes of it. Your success is good inspiration.

Doug, in thinking more about your comment, I don't know what would prevent you from experimenting on "scraps" of the wood you are interested in distressing. As we know, each wood has it's own character and it's only experience that tells the tale.

Have fun,

Jim

Archived