Acrilex or acrylic sources

Working Stiff

Hi All: I'm a new Carving Path member.

I must admit to being a hobbyist, not a real carver but perhaps a shared resource could be helpful to all.

My question is simple. Does anyone know of a resource for scraps or small sheets of acrylic?

I'm using the material as inlays into wood artifacts.

Acrilex, a manufacturer has what I consider the best selection of acrylics, but they won't deal with the little guy - you have to order several 4 x 6 foot sheets at a minimum. And while they will send samples on some occasions, they won't do it as a rule as they are expensive, and not worth their time.

I was hoping someone would know of a plastics "warehouse" or other type of resource that carried a line of scraps or smaller sheets of acrylics that were unusable or left overs from larger jobs, etc.

Thanks for your assistance.

Alan Anderson

Barrington, NH

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All: I'm a new Carving Path member.

I must admit to being a hobbyist, not a real carver but perhaps a shared resource could be helpful to all.

My question is simple. Does anyone know of a resource for scraps or small sheets of acrylic?

I'm using the material as inlays into wood artifacts.

Acrilex, a manufacturer has what I consider the best selection of acrylics, but they won't deal with the little guy - you have to order several 4 x 6 foot sheets at a minimum. And while they will send samples on some occasions, they won't do it as a rule as they are expensive, and not worth their time.

I was hoping someone would know of a plastics "warehouse" or other type of resource that carried a line of scraps or smaller sheets of acrylics that were unusable or left overs from larger jobs, etc.

Thanks for your assistance.

Alan Anderson

Barrington, NH

Hello Alan,

I use quite a bit of Acrylic, Poly carbonate, and other plastics for a variety of reasons and am fortunate enough as you may well be to be able to acquire scraps and off cuts from local plastic fabricators. Some sell drop by the pound, some by the piece. I've been known to pull quite a bit of material from their dumpster and now the new owner even has a freebie box.

Not sure how large Barrington is but Boulder has a bit of tech business and a University to supply the need (pop. 120K) So google area yellow pages for Plastics Fabricators or simply Plastics and you should have some luck. The will also have supplies which may be helpful including cast in place acrylic which may simplify your work. Happy Hunting.

Tom

Archived