My Work Bench

Jimmy

Greetings to All,

Unlike most of you I don't really have a work shop (as the photos show). I built a work shop that is 12 x 24 feet, but it quickly filled with "necessary" junk. I do all my carving outside, consequently I carve mostly in the Spring and Summer. However, winters here in Mississippi are fairly moderate and I do get a few days carving in during most winters. I can carve this way because I'm not trying to make a living by carving. There are times when I really have a desire to carve and it is too cold.

When I want to carve I bring out my tools and work piece, when I'm finished I carry everything back into the house. These photos show only the motorized tools, when it is time for fine detail work I bring out the knives--sometimes in the winter I will do detail work in the house. You will note that there are three pieces on the table--I normally work on 3 or more pieces at a time--when I'm at a stand still on one piece I go to another.

One advantage to this type work shop is that it doesn't stay cluttered long--everything is cleaned away before being put away.

Jimmy

post-114-1210213354.jpg

post-114-1210213364.jpg

post-114-1210213373.jpg

Hi Jimmy,

My situation and set-up is exactly like yours. See my photos in the Quick! Grab Your Camera topic. I'm lucky, I do get to carve more days than you since I live in LA.

It's a real drag having to put everything away at the end of the day, especially when I'm tired, but as you stated it doesn't stay cluttered for long. Since my table in on the patio, I also have to sweep up. When I carve inside like you, it's also just to do detailing. I tried carving but the mess was more trouble than it was worth, since you can't control where the chips flip.

Good carving.

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the reply. This type work bench/shop does have its disadvantages but it also has the advantage of almost always having a clean space to work. I'll check out you photos.

Jimmy

Archived