Yet Another Dead Fish

tsterling

Finished a new one - a dried anchovy pendant. Pendant is engraved and carved in copper, .999 fine silver backing, on a copper byzantine chain. Double inlaid eyes in fossil ivory and ebony. Pendant is 2.25inches long (5.7 cm).

Thanks for looking.

post-11-1210615918.jpg

Finished a new one - a dried anchovy pendant. Pendant is engraved and carved in copper, .999 fine silver backing, on a copper byzantine chain. Double inlaid eyes in fossil ivory and ebony. Pendant is 2.25inches long (5.7 cm).

Thanks for looking.

post-11-1210615918.jpg

Such fine work that's always admired. Did you make the chain also?

Hi Tom,

Wonderful work! The eye is a great, luminous addition. Do you use anything to "finish" the copper, or will it age/patina over time and from wearing? How does one create such a chain? After the past weekend event, my brain is not yet in the right place to figure it out by looking at it. I very much like the shape and line of the hook/clasp.

Thanks for sharing,

Janel

The ivory and ebony eyes have proven popular, and seem to provide a nice foil to the work.

Ron, here's a link to some simple instructions on how to do Byzantine chain: http://www.instructables.com/id/Byzantine-...-Speed-weaving/

The instructables.com (also make.com) site is pretty interesting to wander through - lots of weird tutorials - just take some of them with a bit of caution as they can be quite hazardous. You'll definitely need some adult supervision for the dangerous ones - my wife watches me like a hawk when I'm stumping through this site!

Janel, the pendant is patinated with gun blue, and the chain is darkened with liver of sulfur, then tumbled for several hours in small stainless steel shot. Copper in contact with skin will turn a nice dark plum brown eventually no matter what you do to it, so I tend to start off that way so the client doesn't end up expecting it to stay that shiny copper color and get disappointed.

Archived