HELLO FROM ENGLAND

glassartist

Hello everyone , I am new to here, a glass engraver/carver working from Derbyshire, England .I have been an engraver for 30+years 26 of which have been as a full time professional. I work mainly on lead crystal and optical crystal pieces but also on cased glass and multi cased cameo glass using a dental drill and diamond ,+ stone burrs. I have exhibited my work in USA, Japan, Hong Kong, Germany and Italy as well as various parts of the UK. I am mainly a wildlife artist but cover any subjects with my commission work such as portraits, biuldings, crests ect,. here is a piece I have just finished titled " Spirits of the Forest " if you look carefully you can see various faces, figures or "spirits" I have just sold this piece to a collector.

BESTGREENVASE1.jpg

P3124723.jpg

P3124715.jpg

P3124713.jpg

P3124714.jpg

That's a beautiful, subtractive way to bring about an image. Do you tend to focus on one element at a time, or bring things up equally as you work?

The finished product reminds me of the fancy watermarks seen on banknotes. (although those are created by wax sculpting a model first)

That's a beautiful, subtractive way to bring about an image. Do you tend to focus on one element at a time, or bring things up equally as you work?

The finished product reminds me of the fancy watermarks seen on banknotes. (although those are created by wax sculpting a model first)

I start with a basic idea in my head and mark out the piece more for positions and perspective then start engraving but add things as i go along, the cased pieces take a long time to do as you have to be precise to how much of the colour you remove, I worked on this a bit at a time in between my more ordinary"keep the bank happy " work, taking about 14 months to complete

Here is a naive question, do you cut from the inside or from the outside?

Janel

Hi Janel , this piece is engraved on the outside as the casing of colour is outside but I have worked on pieces such as large open bowls where the casing is on the underpart so the carving shows through the clear glass, actually I think this looks better and is more effective

Thank you for the compliment, and for explaining about the inside/outside carving. The outer carving must add an interesting tactile adventure when someone is allowed to hold the piece. When seeing a smooth surface, then the tactile information becomes a mystery. Both are positive assets with your kind of work with glass in my opinion.

Janel

Archived