limestone dragonfly bowl

Hi All,

This is a carving in Indiana Limestone of a birdbath, based on an art nouveau dragonfly motif. As limestone doesn't weather well with standing water in it (algae and assorted schmutz), I am hoping to make a mold and cast the carving in concrete to make reproductions.

Although Indiana limestone is not known for taking a polish, I took it down to micromesh 12000, giving it a very smooth, tactile feel.

This is my first large stone carving. having only done miniature work in the past. It was a lot of fun to do, and I would recommend working in this medium (it carves well with less risk of fracture than many stones).

Regards,

Will Dikel

post-466-1211443938.jpg

post-466-1211443976.jpg

I can almost feel the smoothness of the limestone's polished, cool finish. Your design and execution of the dragonfly also shows me that the design element is individual and endless, limited only by a lack of imagination. The lines are so simple and clean. I like it.

Thank you for showing it to us.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I saw a small bowl in Paris, at the Louvre Museum of Decorative Arts (below), and decided to try to carve a design based on it. I am attaching a photo of another dragonfly piece from the museum- the art nouveau work there blew me away with unbelievably exquisite workmanship.

Regards,

Will

post-466-1211596707.jpg

post-466-1211596734.jpg

Hi Will,

I love your piece - I think you did a very good "translation" into stone from the original. I would like to have this in marble for a wash basin. Thanks for the posts. The Art Nouveau period is one of my favorite - such a bursting out of expression and talent in such a short time frame.

Regards,

Magnus

Hi All,

This is a carving in Indiana Limestone of a birdbath, based on an art nouveau dragonfly motif. As limestone doesn't weather well with standing water in it (algae and assorted schmutz), I am hoping to make a mold and cast the carving in concrete to make reproductions.

Although Indiana limestone is not known for taking a polish, I took it down to micromesh 12000, giving it a very smooth, tactile feel.

This is my first large stone carving. having only done miniature work in the past. It was a lot of fun to do, and I would recommend working in this medium (it carves well with less risk of fracture than many stones).

Regards,

Will Dikel

post-466-1211443938.jpg

post-466-1211443976.jpg

WOW!!

Archived