piece from last year

RUSS

Here is another piece I did with Clives help about a year ago......Buffalo horn, hippo tusk, ivory and shell for the starfish, not sure what type,,,,,,

Pleased at the time with many areas of the piece but now a year on the not so good parts seem to stand out like a sore thumb......

comments please >>>I have my head gear on and mouth piece in.... :rolleyes:

post-1670-1212192695.jpg

post-1670-1212192706.jpg

post-1670-1212192717.jpg

post-1670-1212192723.jpg

post-1670-1212192730.jpg

post-1670-1212192736.jpg

post-1670-1212192743.jpg

post-1670-1212192750.jpg

post-1670-1212192755.jpg

Hi Russ, hi all. I like your work, it's a nice mussel. When i was young , i worked at Arcachon ( Gironde, France), i was a oyster farmer, and often i saw mussels, but they were not so nice than yours, felicitations.

Hello Russ,

It is a real treat to see this piece, thank you for posting it. The combination of textures, of roughness, and smooth, shiny and not, give one much to look at. One element that pulls strongly on me is the tight bands of the closely cut grooves, perhaps indicating the layers of shell material. These irregular grooves are for me a little too undamaged, rather tight and causes my eye to move too quickly sideways with their movement. The smooth bands are "damaged" here and there and there is room for the eye to move up and down and around those spaces. The close banding of the tight grooves could have individual "layers" come and go, so to speak, broken off a little deeper than their neighbors in bits, either in an organized damage pattern with the smooth banding, or randomly, just enough to halt the swift horizontal eye movement. Also using the shiny and dull/rough combination, and tiny fractures... also to differentiate the gloss more from the shiny bands. You get to direct the viewer's eyes around this piece with such elements.

It is great to see this, even if it is a year old. It is good to see pieces with "new" eyes, after a period of time away from a piece. It is an exercise in self control for me, since I would like to continue carving something occasionally, and most of those pieces are already in collections, so it is not possible.

What elements are not so good in your eyes?

Janel

My above comments may change if I were to see the piece in person. The translation by photography and viewing on a monitor may not tell the whole story.

Many thanks for you kind replies..........This is another piece which I will repeat at some point, again like the fungi change one or two things............

What are the things I dislike Janel.......mmmmm...not much just one or two

I was pleased with the sting ray side and the ray it's self, it turned out so much better than I expected, the side holding the crab I was also pleased with ....the crab though is not so good....may be needed to be more life like I think..... and the eyes seem to dominate it........not the best eyes...........the starfish maybe is a little too obvious,,he would be better tucked away some where so you can just see a little of him and then like the opening of the piece it self your invited into his home as well.....hope Im making sense.....

The hinge is a piece of threaded steel and small screw, the threaded part was glued and pinned in place, then the top piece was screwd on with a washer so not to ware the horn away with constant opening and closing, finally a small barnicle was added to cover the hole........again the barnicle may work better a touch smaller....

I noticed Janel you posted a topic some time ago about hinges, when I repeat this piece I'd like to use some sort of hinge so it opens like a real muscle would, but not worked out how I could do it just yet,,,,, one for later I feel.....

Just got in from a gig so time for some zzzzzzzzzzzzz's thanks again... :rolleyes:

Hello Russ,

What an absolutely wonderful piece. It transported me back to my childhood in Hawaii, playing in the tidepools. What I like about these small carvings is their ability to trigger emotional responses to long dormant memories.

Thank you.

• 4 months later...

Hi Russ, the crab really does it for me, it really evokes childhood memories of tide pool explorations. The barnacles are a nice touch, and I like your choice of material. The shiny finish you chose to use, makes me think it was pulled right out of the water.

If you are still looking for critical comments, if I were to do it my way, I'd keep the crab as it is, but I'd carve it so that it's all the same scale as the mussel shell, omitting the rocks, the ray and the starfish. It would be a small crab hiding in a shell. Also it seems that the starfish is too small in comparison with the crab, but that's probably just me thinking that the crab is a tiny crab - it seems like you have envisioned a larger scene shrunken into the shell, in which case the crab is like a big dungeoness crab - which also works.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful work.

Archived