Camera talk

Janel

Janel,

My 35mm has lenses that can capture the smile on a dragonflys face but I do not have that advantage with digital cameras. I have not tried to do much with my newest camera. I can play with it and see what it will do (that is a good excuse to not butcher wood). My new digital is a Sony Handycam, the fancyest one I could find, I am afraid to touch the wrong button, it might be the self distruct or kill user button - don't know.

Regards,

Debbie

Guest DFogg

Hi Janel,

Any of the new digital 35mm accept lens. I own an older Nikon D70 and have been very pleased with it. You can get good closeup lens for them. I have a 60mm Micro Nikkor 1:28D for closeup work. These photos were shot handheld with no light setup just for illustration and then crunched to fit on the forum.

post-1-1214562124.jpg

post-1-1214562147.jpg

post-1-1214562962.jpg

A good place to check out what is available is Digital Photography Review They have good forums and galleries that are very helpful.

You can spend as much on the lens as the camera body and the prosumer bodies from Nikon and Canon will do all that I require. The high end cameras were way overkill for what I do, but I could go broke getting all the glass I would like.

Digital over film is no contest at this point, most companies are phasing out their film production altogether. You will need to also invest in good photography software. Photoshop is the flagship, but there are less expensive alternatives. If you do want to get Photoshop and have a student in the family, you can get a healthy discount.

Thanks Don for the info. I have and use PhotoShop. I am wondering about upgrading from 8.0 to the current version, as well as considering LightRoom for its cataloging abilities. I also wonder about what Aperture software is, and how it differs from PhotoShop.

Guest DFogg

I am not a Mac person so can't help with Apeture. I did try the new Nikon Capture 2 and found it interesting. I am familiar with Photoshop however and too old to learn a new program. The new update to Photoshop has some compelling additions.

I have recently been using a stand alone HDR program called PhotoMatrix Pro HDR allows you to take multiple exposures of an image and combine them into one photo. This is good if you need to use different exposures to bring out highlights and detail in the shadows.

For some reason the link insert isn't working for me, but check it out.

Hi Janel - like with many things it depends on budget. I recently bought my first digital camera and am very happy with it - great for documenting the long / large project that is engulfing me at the moment :rolleyes: (And I've got some old school medium format cameras for other work - just love film still :) )

I went for a Panasonic DMC-FX33 and it has pretty good macro - apparently the 55 one is meant to have a better image quality (but out of my budget).

I think that many lower end point and shoot camera will have decent macros now and a bit of tweaking in PS will get you there - what do you use at the moment ?

I think that Aperture works with RAW images... so maybe more high end photography. It's a new world for me (digital) but have found good info on the site mentioned before (DPReview) and a few friends are pro/semi pro and seem to use Nikon's (but other brands are available !).

Take it easy - Ed

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the info. I have a four or five year old Nikon Coolpix 4500, which I adore. It is showing its age now and does not shoot clear images, likely needs a new sensor, and cleaning, in my best guess. Some pixels are missing as well, so each shot needs lots of processing in PhotoShop to eliminate that which detracts from what should be a perfect photo.

I will have a look at your suggestions. Thanks.

Janel

• 1 month later...
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the info. I have a four or five year old Nikon Coolpix 4500, which I adore. It is showing its age now and does not shoot clear images, likely needs a new sensor, and cleaning, in my best guess. Some pixels are missing as well, so each shot needs lots of processing in PhotoShop to eliminate that which detracts from what should be a perfect photo.

I will have a look at your suggestions. Thanks.

Janel

I know this is a Late reply but anyway here is a site that is well respected for its camera reviews and information: http://www.dpreview.com/

Now-a-days with the price of the point and shoots SO Reasonable and high pixel counts available it is really difficult to choose a camera especially on a limited budget.

The Nikon digi-cams have Always been notorious for their Macro abilities so If you are still looking for that camera I would start there.

Thanks,

Ben

Archived