A new face

I'm working on a new knife handle. The face is about 1 3/4 x 2 inches in actual size and is carved on the "crown" or end of the antler. The blade (hidden tang) goes in hte other end. Don't know how well the photo is going to come out, but here goes. It is carved from deer antler.

post-921-1215055722.jpg

post-921-1215055772.jpg

Hey Don,

When I first saw this piece I initially thought it would be a Green Man which seems natural given the antler's outline. Then I saw the feather, Indian? then the mustache, ah Mountain Man. So I guess what I'm saying is it seems a bit of a mixed metaphor so far as composition. Now if it's geared towards the rondevous market it's probably an appropriate image especially if it's a portrait commission. Seems like something some talented early trapper would've done to mitigate cabin fever and personalize his knife. Would be nice to see it with blade.

Regards,

Tom Finn

I've made a few refinements to the carving. Thanks Mike and Tom for the comments.

Yes Tom it is a mountain man face. It seems to go over well in this area. I usually sell them as fast as I can make them. Unfortunately it is slow right now. I plan on obtaining a Damascus blade for this piece and making a custom display stand for it.

post-921-1215478132.jpg

post-921-1215478169.jpg

post-921-1215478220.jpg

Hi Don,

Using the SEARCH function and the word "stain" you will find loads of references, but finding the ones that would apply for antler will take a little time. One that turned up for antler might start you thinking: http://www.thecarvingpath.net/forum/index....00&hl=stain

You might also use "antler" for your search keyword to see what shows up in earlier discussions.

Good luck with your quest.

Janel

I did not want to leave you without a couple of tips. Members, add to this if it is not in line with your experience...

Prior to staining or coloring your antler, "wash" the surface with fingernail polish remover, is it acetone?. Natasha uses an alcohol water mix for mammoth tusk, so that might be useful too. You may likely have alcohol in the medicine cabinet, and if you have a fingernail painting female in the house, there is the source for the remover. (I had to purchase some for myself, since I don't do polish on my nails.) After it has been cleaned and dried, do not touch the surface with your fingers or anything else that would put a repellent or resist onto the surface to be colored. It really shows up, and then it is too late.

Very simple, and likely to be in your cupboards, colorant stains could be extremely strong tea or coffee. So that you can see what happens to the antler with any colorants, please experiment with any stains on a sample of antler that has been polished and cleaned, perhaps textured and finished. Try it hot, try it cold. I cannot advise on length of immersion, but likely you don't want the material to soak for a long time, then dry out and crack.

Tests are very useful. Maybe write on the test piece those things that you did to it, for future reference.

Best of luck to you.

Janel

I've begun to use Feibings leather dye on my knife handles. Really soaks into antler or bone, easier to use than potassium permanganate. Any leather shop would have it on hand. Probably best to dilute it (I use rubbing alcohol) and apply in several coats to avoid getting too dark, too quickly.

• 1 month later...

Archived