waterfall netsuke

AlexPtak

Hello everyone here at TCP, Happy Independence Day!

I have spent a long time studying all of the amazing work posted here, and finally managed to muster the courage to post some of my work.

I hope to some day bring my skill to the level of those here, but until then here is my work.

It is a waterfall netsuke made of mahogany, ebony, and a couple of small bits of black marble. I'm working on the ojime, and matching tonkotsu, and will promptly post pics once they are ready.

Thank you Janel for this outstanding resource, and also to all who have posted inspirational work.

Cheers!

Alex Ptak

post-2-1215228590.jpg post-2-1215228949.jpg

post-2-1215229373.jpg post-2-1215232766.jpg

Hi Alex,

Thank you for posting these photos! Have you inlaid the ebony and marble? How have you accomplished this? Did you carve those materials before adding them to the mahogany?

I look forward to seeing the other pieces when you are ready to post images of them.

Janel

Hi Alex,

Thank you for posting these photos! Have you inlaid the ebony and marble? How have you accomplished this? Did you carve those materials before adding them to the mahogany?

I look forward to seeing the other pieces when you are ready to post images of them.

Janel

Hi Janel,

Yes, they are all inlayed and set with some optical glue. I did some basic shaping before inlaying, used some double sided tape to hold it while I traced it with pencil onto the mahogany (also with some of the major sections carved in) carved out the pockets, apply glue, then lightly tap the pieces home. Once it has dried ( about 15 min.) they are not going anywhere, so I can then carve deep without too much worry of dislodging the inlayed pieces.

I'll certainly post the pics of the set when complete.

Thanks!

Alex

Archived