I've been at this one a while.

Janel

I have a moment to share the current piece in progress. She is very small, perhaps 2.5 inches tall. She does stand on one foot. I will not post the whole piece yet. One reason for that, I have not got a good image to share, and another, life has been a bit busy to take the time for a good shot. In a while the rest will be shared.

Janel

eagle_a_w.jpg

PS. This is the second human figure that I have ever carved.

Here is the link for the other human figure.

The whole thing changes when the fingers, toes and eyes are being carved. I find myself looking at peoples bodies for their structure and for the relationships of soft parts to bones, light and shadows. It is hard to not stare while digesting the information!

When the model for the first piece was napping, I was able to draw him to record the things I needed to refer to for the carving. Can't do that with other people very well these days, I am too embarrassed to begin drawing in public.

I'll get back to work soon. My energy level is pretty low, rather shell shocked it seems. Being so close to the end, well sort of, I don't have much room for errors with the little woman. Thus the hesitancy to resume.

"Friends"

http://www.janeljacobson.com/carvings/288.html

288_2.jpg

Janel

• 2 weeks later...
Still sanding and polishing.  My dilema is... where to put my JJ mark.  There seems to be no one, right place for it.  Maybe a clothing endorsement?

Such decisions!

You could give her a sun burst or three point knot work Tatoo on the small of the back with JJ worked into it. It seems like a popular place for them :)

Seriously when it is hard to find the spot I think small. The smaller the better, but the pose is a standing one so you have down facing areas that maynot readily be viewed without handling. The bottom of the foot or the tricep would not detract too much from the piece as it would be displayed. Tucked in next to the hair on the the back near the shoulder blade seems like a good place to me. Just some random thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for asking. The answer begins with a question, which close-up?

378_feet.jpg

The carving is standing on a piece of black Plexi-glas. One light source, reflected from white board above and through diffuser on left, white reflective card on right. I think that is what I see with the reflections and with my memory of the set up.

feet.jpg Hand held- daylight source, held in just the right position. (white balance for daylight)

feet2.jpg Daylight source, held in just the right position. (white balance for daylight)

The photo sessions are lengthy and eventually after three days and sessions, I was able to balance the color and lighting to portray this carving like a sculpture of modest size rather than a tiny object of 2.5 inches in height. It is sooooo difficult to get it right (my interpretation of right, anyway). With each new piece, there is a new learning curve to experience.

I am still using the Nikon Coolpix 4500. ISO was brought down to 100 to see if the black background would be black and not full of noise. This image was bright enough. Another piece from long ago, a dark purpleheart figure, it did not work well at all. Each piece has its own challenges!

Archived