Attn: Fungus Carvers! Material for trade

DreamingDragonDesigns

I was cleaning some petrified oosic (walrus penile bone) I'd been given the other night, and I managed to get a nice chunk of marrow loose.

This stuff would be great for carving into a fungus or morel mushroom. It's very hard and sturdy, not flaky or crumbly like fresh bone. This stuff is ROCK. It's petrified bone.

I'd like to trade it for something interesting to carve. I work with a dremel and steel burrs, so no Jade, but bone, wood, man-made materials and soft rocks like soapstone are great. I'll pay the shipping to you, if you'll handle the shipping on your end.

Photos are below.

LJ

post-1843-1215925403.jpg

post-1843-1215925417.jpg

post-1843-1215925435.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I was cleaning some petrified oosic (walrus penile bone) I'd been given the other night, and I managed to get a nice chunk of marrow loose.

This stuff would be great for carving into a fungus or morel mushroom. It's very hard and sturdy, not flaky or crumbly like fresh bone. This stuff is ROCK. It's petrified bone.

I'd like to trade it for something interesting to carve. I work with a dremel and steel burrs, so no Jade, but bone, wood, man-made materials and soft rocks like soapstone are great. I'll pay the shipping to you, if you'll handle the shipping on your end.

Photos are below.

LJ

Wow really weird carving stock, how could you ever use oosic.. Unless maby its a traditional material of some culture? Honestly who would ever think of carving that :unsure:

Sam.

P.S. sorry I only have wax and no use for petrified bone marrow....

Wow really weird carving stock, how could you ever use oosic.. Unless maby its a traditional material of some culture? Honestly who would ever think of carving that :unsure:

Sam.

P.S. sorry I only have wax and no use for petrified bone marrow....

Oosic is just like any other fossilized bone, and even complete specimens don't look that weird. It's stranger to me that people could hunt elephants for their tusks. Oosic occurs naturally without human interference. It's also a very cool material in color variation, ranging from light cream, to dark chocolate. And it does have a different pattern from the rest of the walrus bones. (It's finer grained, from what I've been told.)

Step outside your prudish modern frame of reference, and think in the tribal manner that better suits the primal nature of art.

Bone is bone.

LJ

Hi

there is a netsuke in the book " familiar & unfamiliar netsuke" by Raymond Bushell , which is in the form

of a cup ! Its made of such material. The funny thing is , such a chawan never holds the drink inside.

Ideal material, perhaps in combination with a very smooth material like ivory?

have much fun with it Hako

Hi

there is a netsuke in the book " familiar & unfamiliar netsuke" by Raymond Bushell , which is in the form

of a cup ! Its made of such material. The funny thing is , such a chawan never holds the drink inside.

Ideal material, perhaps in combination with a very smooth material like ivory?

have much fun with it Hako

Neat idea. Maybe someone will take the bait and trade me something so they can try that.

LJ

Archived