Work In Progress - Bone Hair Forks!

Thought I'd show you guys what I'm working on.

Got a couple partial skulls from a taxidermist friend, and found that the section on top of the nasal cavity lends itself perfectly to making a pair of hair forks! I'm guessing that these are either elk or caribou bone. (The skulls are partial because they've had the crown part around the antlers removed for mounting.)

Got the shaping done on the first one, and decided to take a pic or two with the still totally raw second piece. The delineated areas will have celtic knots carved into them. (I'm going to draw the knots out and maybe start carving them tonight.)

So what're you guys working on?

post-1843-1216013265.jpg

post-1843-1216013300.jpg

post-1843-1216013315.jpg

Hi LJ,

I thought that I had posted earlier, but I must have clicked the GO button instead of the one that will post the reply. This is an interesting material that you have chosen to use. I used to have hair long enough to sit on, and did use sticks to knot up that hair. This fork would be an interesting option to use. Is the material strong enough, or have a little forgiving flex? I look forward to seeing the knot work.

Janel

Hi LJ,

I thought that I had posted earlier, but I must have clicked the GO button instead of the one that will post the reply. This is an interesting material that you have chosen to use. I used to have hair long enough to sit on, and did use sticks to knot up that hair. This fork would be an interesting option to use. Is the material strong enough, or have a little forgiving flex? I look forward to seeing the knot work.

Janel

Actually, I have even been surprised by the material's toughness. My partner's immediate response upon seeing them was "those look really fragile. You sure they aren't going to break instantly?" But they do have a little flex, and seem to have a little elasticity. To test this, I wore the fork today to lunch with my sister-in-law, and was quite impressed. (My hair is almost to the point where I have to tug it out of my jeans top when dressing, but it's not super thick.) The fork holds well and showed no signs of stress. (I'd never used a fork before, desite selling ones that I made of metal, but it worked better than sticks!)

I'll post more pics when I get the knotwork designed and carved, including an action shot! (I ended up roughing out the other one instead, last night.)

LJ

Hi LJ,

I like these very much - what's the length? I can see the knotwork being cool with dyes for added colour as in scrimshaw.

Blessings,

Magnus

Magnus,

The fork is about 5" overall, with about 3 3/4" of that the fork itself. It works well in my hair at least, and mine is waist length.

I'll probably use something to "antique" the bone, and the dropped areas around the knots will be dark, if not black, to highlight the knots. I may try color in the future, but I'm going to keep it simple for now.

Any advice for a dye/treatment for the antique look? The bone has just enough flaws to not be ideal for staying white.

LJ

Archived