Figurative carving

Janel

I do not know where to place this topic! I am very curious about who among us uses the human form in the carving work they do.

Please introduce yourself and your work which uses people or parts of people as the subjects, whether whittling, sculpting or just plain carving.

Janel

Hi Janel,

I use the human figure in many of my pieces of sculpture. I do full figures and pieces using only parts of figures. At the moment I am in the process of sculpting two one and one half lifesize portrait busts that will be cast in bronze for a university. I have also done full figures only 54mm high. They are all fun to do.

Dick

My wife Anne has sculpted and carved doll bodies for a number of years using polymer clays,wax and wood. if there is something cooking in the oven ,it's usually body parts. photo of sculpty doll and brass casting from molding wax of "Tom Sawyer".

brass1.jpg

Thanks DanM for the photo. Body parts? Sounds daring! I have not used the bakable material, though my sister has used it for her projects.

Once it has been baked, is the material carvable? It would offer another layer of interest, with the material no longer malleable.

Janel

• 4 weeks later...

DearJanel,

A friend of mine, Ford Hallam, has suggested that I get in touch with you as at present I'm ata bit ofa loss as towhat to do next.I've been restoring oriental carvings forlondon antique dealers for over 20 years and have recently had an exhibition of my own work in the West Endall carved out of Victorian billiard balls.

The thing is, Iknow how to carve, but have no idea how to market my work. This computer stuff also is very new to me and I don't yet have a printer.

I recently sent pictures and a brochure to Marsha Vargas and Norman Sandfield.

Both said they thought the members of theINS would be interested. I know all about the difficulties of getting ivory carvings into the Statesand have already given up on this year's convention as finances would not permitme to envisage this. Doyou think you could give me some indication as to what I should donext?

I would be quite happy to post you some material, or if I were to drive to a friend's house (I live inthe wilds of Wales) I'm sure she could send some stuff on the computer for me, but where would I sendit for you to see?

Yours in confusion

Erica

Hi Erica,

Thanks for the questions. Lets go off the forum to write privately/email for some of the answers. I'll PM my email address to you and then you write email to me ... we'll share our addresses.

I do not have all the answers about how to get work in front of clients and how to get them to purchase. There are as many ways as there are artists. Sorry to be vague. Each of the members are welcome to offer suggestions.

I am curious to see what you are carving!

Do you have a way of authenticating the date the billiard balls you have been using?

Janel

Archived