celic hair forks Inspired from dreamingdragondesign

Francesco

Inspired from the topic of dreamingdragondesign :blink: , it's a gift for my new girlfiend

Cow bone , 11 cm tot, knots 1x2 cm

spillonewy9.jpg

particolarecc8.jpg

Nice stuff, what it it for though, a hair pin? Like an ornate comb? Also what did you use to carve it?

Sam.

Nice stuff, what it it for though, a hair pin? Like an ornate comb? Also what did you use to carve it?

Sam.

Hair forks can be used either as something to hold a bun, like a pair of hairsticks does, or as an accent like a comb.

I use mine to hold a bun. A hair fork is easier than using hairsticks, and quite secure if you do it right.

Both hair forks and sticks are traceable back to pre-Christian times on several continents.

LJ

I like a bit of history lesson now and then. Thanks LJ. The use of sticks, or netsuke for that matter, had origins from simpler solutions to needs. To trap the hair out of the way, or as with netsuke, to attach a cord and useful items to one's belt cord.

I like a bit of history lesson now and then. Thanks LJ. The use of sticks, or netsuke for that matter, had origins from simpler solutions to needs. To trap the hair out of the way, or as with netsuke, to attach a cord and useful items to one's belt cord.

I love knowing the history behind things. It often gives me ideas for new projects. That's why I always share when I do know something of an item's history when asked about it's use. If you break any object down to it's base purpose, you can sometimes gain insight into ways to embellish it that aren't as swayed by what's currently "in style" or "the norm". And that's how new trends start.

LJ

Archived