Im new...and i need help....!!

simple_carver

HI all,

Well firstly its a pleasure to now be a part of this site through the greatness of bone carving. And its AWESOME that there is so much talent and enthusiasm for it....so good on you all, its very inspiring....

Secondly.....HELP!!! haha...im new and im stuck.....

Ive been carving for a nearly 2 months but im wondering how to get more detail in my carvings. I notice alot of very intricate work can be done and id like to know what i need (other than patience) to help me to get to that point.

At this stage, im really only carving traditional Maori Hooks (being in NZ) and i only use files. I do have a dremel but have not put it to alot of use.... I notice it can 'get away on ya' if youre not careful.

So, in laymans, what do i need? what type of tools and how does one use them?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,

Nath.

Reread what I wrote in Who's Who, about the little video, and about using the SEARCH function. Folks who carve bone will chime in with their own knowledge as well,

I would not rely only on a rotary tool, yes it does get away on you! Files can only do so much, but do a lot to get your material removed so that you can get at it with the detail tools. Learn about the Stephen Myhre tools, and make them in sizes from 5 mm down to 2mm diameter stock. The angles and differences between curves and straight all offer something different in their own ways.

Read the topic titles also, as you scroll through the pages, those topics may be germane to your interests. The SEARCH function again will bring up numerous topics related to your keyword search as well.

Lets hear it from the bone carvers...

Janel

For my bone carving, I start with jeweller saw , use rotary tool normally used in dental lab, tungsten carbide burs. I use also some surgical chisel used in dental bone surgery, some home made chisel and scraper make starting from old dental instrument. For finishing I use Vallorbe file with different shape, abrasive paper, felt wheels with polishing paste.

I have not photo of my armamentarium , sorry.

Francesco

• 2 years later...

Gidday Mate - I'm probably a year or so too late but I've just started bone carving myself.

You have probably sorted things out for yourself but I'll put in my two cents worth anyway.

I started with a Dremel type tool and quickly discovered that you can take off a lot of material very quickly (but you can't put it back on at all)

Not having spare cash to repair my Dremel, I tried using Xacto knives and a variety of small files, finishing off with sandpaper and wet and dry paper.

Final polishing is done with my thumb while sitting watching the goggle box.

I have attached a photo of one almost finished (just a bit of touching up here and there)

(Just previewed my post and got the photo in the wrong place)

Would be interested to hear how you got on

Cheers

Barry

HI all,

Well firstly its a pleasure to now be a part of this site through the greatness of bone carving. And its AWESOME that there is so much talent and enthusiasm for it....so good on you all, its very inspiring....

Secondly.....HELP!!! haha...im new and im stuck.....

Ive been carving for a nearly 2 months but im wondering how to get more detail in my carvings. I notice alot of very intricate work can be done and id like to know what i need (other than patience) to help me to get to that point.

At this stage, im really only carving traditional Maori Hooks (being in NZ) and i only use files. I do have a dremel but have not put it to alot of use.... I notice it can 'get away on ya' if youre not careful.

So, in laymans, what do i need? what type of tools and how does one use them?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,

Nath.

post-2930-0-86049900-1308733767.jpg

Archived