Netsuke Carvers

Janel

Someone has asked me my opinion about how many non-Japanese netsuke carvers there are in the world. The information we gather here will help someone who is writing text for a book of netsuke photographs. We will be able to help adjust her knowledge of whether the count is under or over 50 non-Japanese carvers. This person knows of many carvers, but I believe that she may not know about some of the netsuke carvers who have introduced themselves here.

After wondering about this number I find that it is now time for me to begin to compile a list of The Carving Path members who are netsuke carvers. Will you all sign your names to this list, and help the list to grow throughout this topic? I will likely have to glean the names of many of you from the archives, but if others can help to produce this list, I would really appreciate it.

If you know of other netsuke carvers who are not members of TCP, please add their names to this list. Please include the country with the names. I will begin the list.

Please copy and paste the list into your post so that the list will grow in its entirety. Thank you for your help!

Non-Japanese Netsuke Carvers:

Janel Jacobson, United States

Hi Doug,

I do not really know. How does one determine this? One's success with carving netsuke may not be due to only carving netsuke for financial survival, but rather the results of one's activities by creating netsuke that fit within the parameters of functional netsuke by Japanese standards. Carving netsuke 100% of one's work time, or carving netsuke after the day's work for someone else, does not necessarily determine if one's netsuke is successful and well done, or if a carver can be called a netsuke carver. I don't know how to draw that line.

This person will be visiting TCP and viewing our archives, I believe, but I thought that creating a list of names might also be helpful with her quest for information.

Janel

Someone has asked me my opinion about how many non-Japanese netsuke carvers there are in the world. The information we gather here will help someone who is writing text for a book of netsuke photographs. We will be able to help adjust her knowledge of whether the count is under or over 50 non-Japanese carvers. This person knows of many carvers, but I believe that she may not know about some of the netsuke carvers who have introduced themselves here.

After wondering about this number I find that it is now time for me to begin to compile a list of The Carving Path members who are netsuke carvers. Will you all sign your names to this list, and help the list to grow throughout this topic? I will likely have to glean the names of many of you from the archives, but if others can help to produce this list, I would really appreciate it.

If you know of other netsuke carvers who are not members of TCP, please add their names to this list. Please include the country with the names. I will begin the list.

Please copy and paste the list into your post so that the list will grow in its entirety. Thank you for your help!

Do I count, since I plan on trying my hand at netsuke? :D

LJ

Hi LJ,

I am hoping to compile a list of persons who are considered as netsuke carvers. Many people are just beginning, and I don't want to stifle that interest, but this list is to be of those who are recognized as netsuke carvers now, who create netsuke that conform to the functional and usefulness parameters of true netsuke.

Hi LJ,

I am hoping to compile a list of persons who are considered as netsuke carvers. Many people are just beginning, and I don't want to stifle that interest, but this list is to be of those who are recognized as netsuke carvers now, who create netsuke that conform to the functional and usefulness parameters of true netsuke.

Cool, just thought I'd ask.

LJ

Serge Raoux, France

Douglas Sanders, United States

Tom Sterling, United States

Yann Christophe Lemaire, France

Debbie Shedden, Alaska

Harald Hayen, Germany

Ko Baas, Netherlands

Alexander Ptak, PA (US)

Non-Japanese Netsuke Carvers

Serge Raoux, France

Debbie Shedden, Alaska

Harald Hayen, Germany

Ko Baas, Netherlands

Alexander Ptak, PA (US)

Ian Stanley, England.

Serge Raoux, France

Debbie Shedden, Alaska

Harald Hayen, Germany

Ko Baas, Netherlands

Alexander Ptak, PA (US)

Ian Stanley, England

Natasha Popova, Moldova

• 1 month later...

Serge Raoux, France

Debbie Shedden, Alaska

Harald Hayen, Germany

Ko Baas, Netherlands

Alexander Ptak, PA (US)

Ian Stanley, England

Natasha Popova, Moldova

Joshua Wood, USA (Currently Non-Professional)

• 4 weeks later...

Here the 10 Ukrainian carvers - http://netsuke.org.ua/netske/nowosti/netsuke_gallery/.

Sergey Osipov and Slava Chernoshey necessarily in this list should be.

And at me still a question to respected Alexander Ptak - show, please, the works. Falls I already saw, have not impressed :(.

It seems to me, would be more correct, if it is possible to write down a name of the master, the so the objective choice, instead of advertising itself will turn out.

I too would like in this list :), I very much like this company :) - but I understand that else early, still it is necessary to work and work, and some do not understand...

Excuse, did not wish anybody to offend, but...

Sergey

Hi, fkvesic !

I cut a bone only one year, and I hope what name fast too I can myself netsukesi :(

- thanks to such people who have based and care of this forum. Huge it thanks!

Question to Janel - the masters which works I have placed, can take the place in the list top-50?

Sergey

Serge Raoux, France

Debbie Shedden, Alaska

Harald Hayen, Germany

Ko Baas, Netherlands

Ian Stanley, England

Natasha Popova, Moldova

Joshua Wood, USA

Sergey Osipov, Ukraine

Slava Chernoshey, Latvia

Joseph Epshtein, Ukraine

Valeriy Lipatnikov, Russia

Alexey Gur`ev, Russia

Sergey Makarenkov, Russia

Anatoliy Tarapaka, Ukraine

Galina Mudrovskaya, Ukraine

Oleg Stokoz, Ukraine

Hello Sergey,

Just as a reminder, this is not a top-50 list of carvers. It is a request to learn the names of people who consider themselves netsuke carvers. Originally the request was for members of The Carving Path Forum, but membership is not a limiting factor, as members may know others who are netsuke carvers who have not registered on the forum.

Thank you for calling attention to these people. I have not had time to look into what they each are doing while on my journey in Japan. I will take some time to do so after I have returned home.

Kindest regards,

Janel

Archived