like to carve ojime

Hako

Hi carvers

yesterday I got an ojime back, that I carved 10 years ago. I tried to do some pictures for you.

Its a ballshaped 21mm ojime with the 12 zodiak animals. (Boxw., horn, one eye is gold)

There are three ojime, I carved the last months, which show a mole in ebony, a tanuki in stagshorn with double inlaid eyes

and a fruit with a wasp siting inside in boxwood.

For me its great fun to see groups of something, so for example netsuke with matching ojime or netsukegroups of same

motivs or families of animals or so.

Hope you like my ojimes. Hakopost-1743-1217623719.jpgpost-1743-1217623751.jpgpost-4-1106492629_thumb.jpgpost-1743-1217623814.jpg

Hi carvers

yesterday I got an ojime back, that I carved 10 years ago. I tried to do some pictures for you.

Its a ballshaped 21mm ojime with the 12 zodiak animals. (Boxw., horn, one eye is gold)

There are three ojime, I carved the last months, which show a mole in ebony, a tanuki in stagshorn with double inlaid eyes

and a fruit with a wasp siting inside in boxwood.

For me its great fun to see groups of something, so for example netsuke with matching ojime or netsukegroups of same

motivs or families of animals or so.

Hope you like my ojimes. Hako

Wow. Your ojime are really fantastic.

Is there anywhere that I could go to see these photos larger? Many members here have very slow connections, so I won't ask that you post them larger on the forum.

LJ

Hallo Natasha,

nice to read a question of such a brilliant carver. Thank you.

I will send some more pictures of this piece. I use chisels, which you take for engraving metall. For finer work

I take slim chisels, always two of them belong together. One cuts on the left, the other on the right side. They work

forwards. So you can always cut with the grain of the wood. You work the same way ?

I cannot carve a lot of animals complete on an ojime, so you see parts of each , some of them even a bit more.

I sold the piece years ago and am happy to have it back.

You asked Janel about ukibori or carved warts on toads. I like a combination.

For example I did the ukiboripoints inside the wood and deepend the surface only around the points. So you get

holes with a wart inside.

Here I send a foto of a SHOJO who drank too much (wodka ?) , but here I did ukibori in points, in lines with points

in the spaces and in flowerform on the kimono.

I hope shojo feels better now after that horrible party.

Thats all - happy carving - Hakopost-1743-1217707751.jpg

PS Thought , you can use this technic for your figures, perhaps in combination with your hot needle.

Hi Hako!

Thank You for explanation! :lol:

Yes, I use tools with different left and right sides. I think every one has so!

I've never done Ukibori, only tried! :) Unfortunately! I'm going to study this technique better, later it'll be very necessary for me! But now I'm with Maki-e techniques, which are unbeleivable interesting for me!

Thank You! Your ojime were done perfect! I like them very much!

Best wishes!

Dreaming Dragon, Natasha, Ron - thank you for your Emails.

I tried to do some new pictures and send them here.

I think laquertechnics are of a high quality and they are excellent in combination with the fine work in ivory of Natasha.

Here are the pictures . " i did my very best" Hakopost-1743-1218393541.jpg

post-1743-1218393515.jpgpost-1743-1218393559.jpgpost-1743-1218393574.jpg

Archived