What Beetle is This?

magnus homestead

Hi All,

I found this beetle yesterday and don't know what it is. It is still alive and is 2.5 inches long - that is not counting the antennae when they are outstretched. I couldn't get better photos as it was moving around and I had to keep it contained.

Do any of you know what type of beetle this is so I can research it's habits a bit before releasing it.

Thanks,

Magnus

post-239-1217735212.jpg

post-239-1217735258.jpg

post-239-1217735292.jpg

post-239-1217735331.jpg

Hi All,

I found this beetle yesterday and don't know what it is. It is still alive and is 2.5 inches long - that is not counting the antennae when they are outstretched. I couldn't get better photos as it was moving around and I had to keep it contained.

Do any of you know what type of beetle this is so I can research it's habits a bit before releasing it.

Thanks,

Magnus

Looks like one of the myriad species of Darkling Beetle. (Also "Darling" in some sources) The beetles of both meal worms and "Superworms" are Darklings. They eat decaying wood, grain and forest litter as larva, go thru a pupa stage that looks like something from outer space, and emerge as the beetles to mate.

I wouldn't honestly call them destructive, unless your house is rotting or you found it in a grain silo. They assist the processes that turn a fallen log into more dirt for the forest floor.

LJ

Dear Magnus,

Let´s try to find about this friend of ours because I found one around my neighborhood, thing is... I live in Rosario, Argentina, and I´m wondering what kind of beetle this is since three years ago... I don´t think that this is from the Tenebrioninae family mainly because of the size of this particular one, at least mine is 6 cm long and I think Magnus´ beetle is also this size.

Hugs,

Sebas

Dear Magnus,

Let´s try to find about this friend of ours because I found one around my neighborhood, thing is... I live in Rosario, Argentina, and I´m wondering what kind of beetle this is since three years ago... I don´t think that this is from the Tenebrioninae family mainly because of the size of this particular one, at least mine is 6 cm long and I think Magnus´ beetle is also this size.

Hugs,

Sebas

Not all Darkling Beetles are Tenebrioninae. This is a very broad common name.

I wasn't intending it as a specific identification, merely a place to start looking.

I strongly suggest getting an insect field guide for your region as a starting place. For instance, I would recommend the Audubon Society Field Giud to North American Insects for Magnus. I'm not sure whether or not the Audubon Society publishes a South American edition, but if they do, it's a good place to start for you as well, Sebastian.

LJ

Hi there,

Thanks for your interest and help LJ and Sebas. I identified this beetle by using size reference. It is an Ergates Spiculatus. Common name is Ponderosa Pine Beetle. It does help render snags and stumps into soil and though the lumber industry doesn't particularly like them, they are part of a healthy forest ecosystem and this guy will be going to the woods. They are the largest beetle in the Western U.S. and apparently not common.

Blessings,

Magnus

Archived