First attempt in cherry

Davey

Hi everyone,

I've just put the last coat of polish on this little chap. My wife likes it and says that it is just like the baby sparrows that come into our back garden, shiver thier feathers and wait to be fed by thier mothers.

I would welcome any comments as this is the first I have tried on a small scale and would like to hear other peoples opinions (Good or bad) Maybe I should go back to electronics! Sorry that the photos are not up to everybody elses standard. Thats something else I will have to get sorted.

Kind Regards to all

Daveypost-1805-1217942258.jpgpost-1805-1217942317.jpg

photography is ok the bird is great - eyes could be larger and there could be several sujestions but you will develope your own style as you continue carving. The more you carve and study other carvings the more you will develope. Please continue and try anything that looks interesting to try.

Hi Debbie,

Thank you so much for your comment - I do appreciate it and take to heart everything that you say. I think my trouble is that I tend to go round in a spin most of the time trying to do what I think will earn money as opposed to what comes from the soul. Other peoples work influences me to the extent that I am nearly copying sometimes. Think I've got to stop that and develop my own style from now on like you said.

Kind Regards

Dave

I look to the resource when carving from nature's creatures and then go from there. Look at it, draw it, then carve it as you fit it into the wood (or material of choice).

It takes time, and one learns from one piece to the next, building on experineces and results. You already know that though.

Janel

Davey- I haven't commented here yet, but your questions on another thread (the cheap netsuke...) made me come back.

Your first attempts may seem crude, and to a certain extent they are, but this little sparrow has things going for it that the $45 Hong-kong ones don't.

Namely, you cared enough about the subject to want to make a carving about it. You chose a piece of wood you presumably thought would be attractive and might even contribute something to illustrating some aspect of your subject. You began understanding how your tools worked and what they're capable of doing. You got a response from a patron of the arts (your wife).

In short, there's a bit of you in this piece that shows. The same can't be said of any of those factory made carvings on the other side of the world. Also, you're already aware of the need for tactile attractiveness. The roundness of the head and body, the point of the beak, the attenuation and slight upcurve of the tail, and the wing feather grooving all create something for the hand to explore.

One other thing- forget about making 'netsuke' for a while and concentrate on doing a small scale piece to the best of your ability. Oh yeah, and lay off the polish coats. Wood is a beautiful thing on it's own and just needs hand polishing and elbow grease as a finish.

-Doug

strangely enough, the second carving I did (about 8 years ago now), was also a sweet little sparrow. I'll post a picture here in the next day or so.

best regards ;)

I look to the resource when carving from nature's creatures and then go from there. Look at it, draw it, then carve it as you fit it into the wood (or material of choice).

It takes time, and one learns from one piece to the next, building on experineces and results. You already know that though.

Janel

Janel,

Thank you so much for your comment. Your advise, as usual, makes perfect sense.

regards

Davey

Archived