micromotors - nail drill?

new mom

I know this may sound unprofessional, but when searching for micromotors I keep finding something called micromotor nail drill (eg Pro Nail Tech). They are advertised as "For Dental Technicians, Nail technicians, and Jewelers". Are they real micromotors, just adapted for nail polishing? Should I bother with one, or go with a Foredom flexshaft for now (I can only spend approx. $200) and save for a Foredom micromotor? Thank you!

Hi New Mom!

I go to do long nails every month and I see such micromotors, they are not for a long time work! It is also very weak! Don't give up your money! ;) Better to such more professional graver-machine!

Thank you, Natasha! That is what I suspected...I am trying to justify spending all this money on tools while I am not making any (I am at home, raising children, for now). Thank you for taking the time to answer, and I wanted to tell you how much I admire your work! When I finally get the tools I need, I plan to look again at the pictures you posted and try to learn from them!

Rada

Cheap tools like you'd get at Harbor Freight are fine if you're going to use them once then expect them to be thrown away. Even a budget Foredom kit will last you a long time and be worth the money. Check Ebay and Rio, Rio has a Foredom clone for $100 that should hold you till you've got enough saved for a micromotor.

Hi New Mom......A few things which might be helpful from my own experience........

I first purchased an Axminster flex drive unit around 5 years ago now...the motor and flex shaft are still going strong...the handpiece on the other hand is not so good...but it was part of the kit when i purchased the unit.....I'd spoke to Clive about handpieces and he said when buying make sure you go for a good quality model....this advice was correct as I got a foredom handpiece soon after , the quick release type, with a duplex spring ......how I managed to work with my old one I'll never know....the new one is superb .....not sure how good the foredom motors are but my set up with a cheaper motor and quality handpiece seems to work well...

As far as the Mocro motors go again I looked at many different types including the NSK range which I know quite a few carvers are using......I'd just got my new handpiece so like you could not justify spending a lot of money ....

I then spoke to a friend who had just purchased a Matathon micromotor and handpiece ........this was what I'd been looking for but without the price tag.......it's a quick release handpiece with control box and footswitch......Not sure where your based but this was purchased in the US and brought back by a friend....

Im not sure weather you could use this for heavy duty carving but this was not my intention...I tend to use it for the more detailed work...it really is a nice piece of kit......

put some pics on ...3 of the micro motor and the small one is the foredom i got ...called a H10.D....got the handpiece off ebay ...good price too...be aware when buying some of the cheaper end micro's as they dont come with a footswitch.........

post-1670-1218645809.jpg

post-1670-1218645816.jpg

post-1670-1218645832.jpg

post-1670-1218645919.jpg

Archived