Wax Dragon ring

Sam Smith

I have been working on this one on and off for about 2 weeks, the wax was getting really thine, about 0.5mm in some spots, you can see stuff though the thin parts ;)

I still see all the imperfections but even then I'm happy with it, for me its about the process not the result, so as long as I'm getting better I don't mind imperfections.

Its a size 9 ring will weight about 11grams in silver and is 13mm wide by 2mm, large but still wearable. I textured the background with line-swirls, I actually got the idea from the Chinese Olympic torch, it has these wonderfully lacquered swirl cloud pattern on it. I just have to wait for some silver shot I ordered to get here then ill cast it and cross my fingers.

Sam.

post-1857-1218858199.jpg

post-1857-1218858404.jpg

post-1857-1218858453.jpg

post-1857-1218858550.jpg

That looks great Sam!

Just a word of caution, since your down to .5mm in the shank, make sure you've got a decent sprue to the dragon itself, or hollow out the back of it a bit. Going from thin to thick is asking for porosity problems, try to keep things relatively even in thickness or at least have mellow transitions.

That looks great Sam!

Just a word of caution, since your down to .5mm in the shank, make sure you've got a decent sprue to the dragon itself, or hollow out the back of it a bit. Going from thin to thick is asking for porosity problems, try to keep things relatively even in thickness or at least have mellow transitions.

Yea I was planning to sprue right to the dragon inside to prevent porosity.

Sam.

Hi Sam,

This is very nice indeed! Looks like you have done a really nice head. Great form and detail. You might want to use some flat gravers on your scales after casting to give them more depth - it looks like they are just scribed on the body in the photo. I like the backgrounds.

Looking forward to seing this in silver!

Keep up the good work,

Magnus

Yea they are almost stamped on with a tinny 1/2 circle gouge, I tried a few ways out but anytime I tried to give the scales more depth they always lost shape.. each one is 1.18mm in dia so really small.. I wish I could make them more dimensional, right now they are more textural.

Sam.

Archived