Can we call it Ryusa

Hallo

Ryusa netsuke are actually a variety of manju. This technique was used particularly in Edo , where a man named

Ryusa was the first to make this type of manju. His name has now been adopted to designate the entire category.

This I found in the Netsuke Handbook of Ueda Reikichi. Ryusa lived in the 18th century.

Your woodnetsuke is a real eyecatcher, but be careful not to carve the parts too thin on the edges.

I´m looking forward to see pictures of the next stages.

Thankyou Hako

thank you, Don!

I like fish fillets also!!! :D

thank you for these kind remarks, debbie!

there is still much work to make: the scales (if someone has a miraculous method, it would help me a lot !... ;) ) eyes, polishing ..... etc,

I do not think of putting color, rather I work a patina !

hako thank you for all these valuable information! the edge are now complete, it remains for me sanding! And boxwood is very strong , I would put photos of the progress but I word on this sculpture , part time , …for fun ..so , it will be long !

Tanks a lot , at all

Bonsoir Laurent,

Très beau travail. On attend la suite avec impatience. Comment comptes-tu finaliser cette vigoureuse truite de montagne ? Juste une patine ?

Comme te l'écrivais Hako, le ryusa est une variété de manju. En fait le Ryusa est un Manju entièrement ajouré. Il tire son nom de son inventeur qui vécu au XVIIIe siècle. La plupart des ryusa sont en corne de cerf, en dent de morse.

Le Manju tire son nom d'un gateau rond et gonflé, cuit à la vapeur et qui date du XIIIe siècle. La plupart des Manju sont de forme circulaire, bombés, sculptés en bas-relief et constitués de deux pièces qui s'emboitent. L'une des pièces est percée d'un trou en son centre, et l'autre dispose d'un tenon percé d'un trou. Seulement, on en trouve aussi de forme carrée, et certains ressemblent à des boutons. Il sont alors constitués d'un seul élément et sont parfois appelés "boutons de Mandarin". (source Promenade dans l'art Japonais - Alain Ducros 2006)

• 1 month later...

Hello, laurent GERDIL

I in delight from design of this work - though your frogs admire me so strongly!

Very much it would be desirable to look this work in the finished kind.

Still wished to ask you permissions to use design of this fish for student's work. If there will be no commercial use, I hope, it will not break your copyrights?

Yours faithfully,

Sergey Polunin

Yann,

Out of respect for we none speaking, none understanding of French who belong to this forum, and remembering this is a american/english forum, could you please make an entry in american/english translating what you have posted!

Respectfully,

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

I put it through a translator:

Very beautiful work. One awaits the continuation impatiently. How do you hope to finalize this vigorous trout of mountain? Just a patina?

As you wrote it Hako, the ryusa is a variety of manju. In fact Ryusa is entirely openwork Manju. It draws its name from its inventor who lived at the XVIIIe century. The majority of the ryusa are in horn of stag, in tooth of Morse.

Manju draws its name from a round and inflated cake, cooked with the vapor and which dates from XIIIe century. The majority of Manju of the shape circular, convex, carved in low-relief and consist of two parts which are emboitent. One of the parts is pierced with a hole in its center, and the other has a bored tenon of a hole. Only, one finds of it also form square, and some resemble buttons. It then consist of only one element and are sometimes called "Mandarin buttons". (Walk source in Japanese

art - Alain Ducros 2006)

Janel

• 3 weeks later...

Hello at all

Please , Excuse me for this absence, ……so many things has to do !!!

Thanks to all for this clarify! In fact, natascha explained to me by e-mail, what did not make this sculpture a ryusa!

I thank her a lot for it, here!

Sergey, you can use this model as object of study, but I think that it will be more educational to create a subject with your student ! :rolleyes:

hi janel ,and tanks you for your nices words ! yes I think that I will only do a patina

I have not a lot advance for lack of time, but here stil some pictures !!

post-1804-1225094280.jpg

post-1804-1225094306.jpg

post-1804-1225094347.jpg

Archived