Change of Seasons

Janel

Hi all,

I must apologize for having dropped out for such a long time. There is such complexity with everything that is in my life, mostly good, that keeps me so busy that I rarely even have time for carving. Much of the work is at the computer these days, and I am always hopeful that I will wind up each project and have a return to the bench. Something else always butts into the queue, and I muster on with more computer time. One step at at time, and the snarly list is being untangled. One of the projects was to force my old camera to produce some more photos of the most recent work. So, here is the work that kept me busy up until the last show in late August:

424_1.jpg

426_1.jpg

and for a little fun between these complex pieces:

425_1b.jpg

I hope to have my web site updated online with the new pages for these pieces. The updates have been made locally, but my land line is really slow tonight, so a trip to town to upload the images is on the agenda for tomorrow.

What are you all doing as our seasons change to autumn or spring?

Janel

PS, thanks to you all for keeping the forum moving along. I enjoy watching your interaction and contributions.

Hi Janel,

I've been consumed as well by other of life's demands(mostly good too) so haven't been here much. I'm 80% finished on a new project that I've been on since May and will post that fairly soon I hope.

The toads are amazing, especially my favorite in the middle. You've captured "toadiness" ( a good thing) extremely well. A kind of earthy nobleness.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

Toads themselves are amazing creatures.

How come there is so much to do as we move forward with our lives? I have just accomplished a few tasks at the coffee shop WiFi, including updating my web site. One big one out of the way for a while. The coffee today was wretched and still sits in the cup five hours later. I got my work done though!

I have a little apple leaf, carved from a burl, on my bench, but it was abandoned a couple of weeks ago. Maybe next week I will get back to it.

What is on your benches folks?

Janel

Great job on the toads Janel. Can I come live in your workshop until I carve as well as you?

I haven't really done any carving lately. Made a couple of knives (commisioned) and carved faces on them, but haven't done anything since. My life is cutting grass and teaching karate in the summer. I have been playing with my camera a lot though. Enough that I want a Digital Single Lens Reflex camera. I have an Ashai Pentax SLR too and have been using it lately. Can't wait to get the film developed.

I have been playing with my camera a lot though. Enough that I want a Digital Single Lens Reflex camera. I have an Ashai Pentax SLR too and have been using it lately. Can't wait to get the film developed.

Don, I just got the Pentax K200 D and think it's a fine camera although it's going to take me a while to get familiar with it.

I've used Pentax SLRs since the mid 70s and have always had good results.

One of the reasons I went with the digital Pentax SLR(as well as good reviews) is that you can use virtually every lens Pentax ever made on them, including the screw-mount Takumar. Worth looking into. Of course, auto features will vary depending on what lens you're using.

Dear Janel,

Thank You for showing the newest work, I very like the toads, especially the express of the big one.

Superb work !!!

The autumn here comes with big steps and the "stove season" has started. Perfect workshop climate ;)

At the moment I try to carve the inside of a partially broken snailhouse and wish to have the small

hands of my daughter for this process.....

Have a sunny day !

Cornel

Thank you all! It is good to have new work completed!

Dan, you are right about that! I go to the coffee place for the WiFi, so if the place in Lindstrom has WiFi, I will consider a change of venue for my internet needs. Thanks for the reminder of their good coffee.

Sergio, we have recently had rain after many dry weeks. The mushrooms will likely be abundant, so I will enjoy walking in the woods with my eyes to the earth.

Hi Cornel, thank you! I have turned the boiler on twice in the past week when the temperature dipped to freezing, and my hands were chilled doing the computer work. If I were active it would not be such a bother. We used to use wood heat for many years, but the use of it does not seem safe now since our set up is from three decades ago. I was considering what it would take to improve the safety of using wood for heat again, since we are having to purchase propane gas ahead of the season, at more than $4,000 for our house and studio and pottery kiln. Not an easy sum to face this year with the unstable and stagnant economy, and the rising costs of fuel. How big is the broken snailhouse? Do you have any in progress photos to share?

Now back to the topic of what is on your benches now!

Janel

The only projects i have going right now is a nunome zogan butterfly pendant.It has a base of mild steel with fine silver butterfly and is now at the patina stage.Other than that i am sorting a pound of mammoth ivory trimmings for usable materal in carving a few more Maori type fish hooks.

nunome.jpg

Hello Everyone

Please excuse my lack of contribution for some time. I have been busy with a set of carvings which are the models for cast belt buckles - however they are not pretty organic forms, rather Auto-memorabilia. I am a Austin Healey fan you see and have made these buckles for my fellow Healey buffs. It's kept me busy for some time, and I confess that by the end I had become pretty tired of straight lines and symmetry ...

However! It is Spring here in Australia, and the trees are all sprouting leaves and flowers. We even have had some nice rain (We don't seem to get much of that these days.... :( , It is rather windy though, and sadly, I'm sure it will go straight into hot Summer :( .

To refresh myself from the straight lines and symmetry I am now working on another buckle design, but a much more entertaining natural form of a frog in a curled leaf. I am even resisting checking my forms with pictures etc, just working from memory- so as to just enjoy the curves and let my whim direct me.

I've just tried to add some photos, but annoyingly my laptop/camera has thrown some kind of fit... I'll have to come back to you soon :(

Happy Spring ;)

Simon

Hi Simon,

It is good to hear from you again. I hope to see the photos, and hope that your laptop/camera business gets sorted out. I knew a fellow with an Austin Healey, even got a ride in it back in the early '70s. What fun for you!

Janel

Hi all,

I must apologize for having dropped out for such a long time. There is such complexity with everything that is in my life, mostly good, that keeps me so busy that I rarely even have time for carving. Much of the work is at the computer these days, and I am always hopeful that I will wind up each project and have a return to the bench. Something else always butts into the queue, and I muster on with more computer time. One step at at time, and the snarly list is being untangled. One of the projects was to force my old camera to produce some more photos of the most recent work. So, here is the work that kept me busy up until the last show in late August:

and for a little fun between these complex pieces:

I hope to have my web site updated online with the new pages for these pieces. The updates have been made locally, but my land line is really slow tonight, so a trip to town to upload the images is on the agenda for tomorrow.

What are you all doing as our seasons change to autumn or spring?

Janel

PS, thanks to you all for keeping the forum moving along. I enjoy watching your interaction and contributions.

Those toads turned out fantastic!

I've posted a couple of my most recent pieces to my deviantart account: www.dreamingdragondesign.deviantart.com

LJ

Hello All,

Your toads are just awesome Janel - I agree with Jim as to the earthy nobility of toads - thanks so much for sharing. I have been truly busy with Autumn coming in - so many chores but enjoyable ones. All my carving of late has been pretty mundane custom jewelry. I have a piece I so want to start with a horse and rider in boxwood and maybe ebony. Perhaps by October I can settle in with a warm woodstove and just carve for a time. We do have two new kayaks in progress - at 12 feet long they are small for sea kayaks, but large for TCP. I'll still post some photos when they are further progressed though.

Happy days of Spring and Autumn to all of the remarkable members here in the forum!!

Blessings,

Magnus

P.S. Views of my most recent custom ring - red stone is Mexican Flame Opal.

post-239-1222149361.jpg

• 1 month later...
Hi LJ,

Thanks! And thanks for the link to your new work. It is good to see what you are doing with the various materials. It looks like you are enjoying what you do!

Janel

The new materials are fun! I still like stabilized woods, jet and corian from an ease of carving standpoint, but the look you can get out of other materials is fun for some pieces. And I still haven't gotten a chance to play with even half of what you and Magnus sent me! (Been busy with commissions. Boohoo...)

Speaking of commissions, check out the pair of hairsticks I got commissioned to do after someone saw the ones I made for Julie: {Link}

Hope you're doing well,

LJ

Hello All,

Your toads are just awesome Janel - I agree with Jim as to the earthy nobility of toads - thanks so much for sharing. I have been truly busy with Autumn coming in - so many chores but enjoyable ones. All my carving of late has been pretty mundane custom jewelry. I have a piece I so want to start with a horse and rider in boxwood and maybe ebony. Perhaps by October I can settle in with a warm woodstove and just carve for a time. We do have two new kayaks in progress - at 12 feet long they are small for sea kayaks, but large for TCP. I'll still post some photos when they are further progressed though.

Happy days of Spring and Autumn to all of the remarkable members here in the forum!!

Blessings,

Magnus

P.S. Views of my most recent custom ring - red stone is Mexican Flame Opal.

Magnus,

That's brilliant!

Once again, your design prowess astounds....

LJ

This coin was re-engraved from a Mexican 50 peso coinThe engraving of this coin was a new experience for me. As an engraver I have the skills needed to do this work. They have taken years of dedicated practice. As an artist I need something more than a figure to copy on to metal. The painting that I used to derive my coin is of a very serine maiden standing in front of a glowing palm leaf. She is dressed in a jade green hooded robe that has luminescent spots on it. My paint brush is steel and my pallet is limited to what colors that can be coaxed from the light that passes across the coins surface.

To give the illusion of depth I must remove metal here and there. To give strength to the figure I must exaggerate some lines and weaken others to show space. I laid out the coin and the corresponding tracing of the Virgin. Then drew the shapes and line on the coin then cut away the nonrelated background, leveled and cleaned up those surfaces, then refined the drawing on the coin. At this point my mind could not visualize what this iconic girl would have looked like. Surely she could not look like the pale anemic face and slim bodied girl that I saw in the cheap reproduction print I had bought as a study from a tourist’s stand in Petlatan, Mexico.

I have engraved many portraits in my life. None have ever tested my skills like the Virgin of Guadalupe. At my first attempt, I threw the coin way in frustration and disgust. Then I redrew her once more on a fresh coin, and left her alone for a while.

I thought of her for several days while making up my mind if it was better to forget the idea and do something that did not rub against my personal religious beliefs.

I returned to my studio, ready to work and convinced that the only way I could see her, was to entice her to appear.

How could I do her portrait if she was invisible to me?

In order to help the situation I first asked her permission, and was immediately denied it. Her valid reason was that I did not believe, respect, or have any idea of her power; also I swore, drank, was unfaithful, lied, cheated, gambled and was an unclean person. And further more, I smelled bad... I was in her opinion unfit. How could I solve this dilemma? I explained to her from that minute on I did believe in her. For to think otherwise made me a lunatic. I then apologized for past errors in life. Still she would not consent and show me her face.

I redrew her figure for the fourth time .leaving space where her portrait was to be. I worked on the banana leaf until it was finished. I then started engraving her robe with its glowing lights.

Meanwhile I kept persisting that even though she felt nothing but disgust at the touch of my hands, I truly had come to respect her.

I asked” If you pity the millions of Mexicans that are no better than this wander. Could you not do the same for me?” and “What about the tattoo artists in prison for rape murder and every other crime thinkable. Had she not revealed her beauty to them?” She did not answer me.

I finished her robe and began to draw her hands. “Those are not my hands” I heard her voice inside my head say “I am Indio, I am strong, my hands were meant to raise corn, and my shoulders do not slump, my body is made to carry heavy water jugs.”.

“What do you look like?” I wondered. “I shall not show you because you intend to profit by selling your coin when it is done. Do you not?” I answered, “ I am a man who holds material possessions to be of small value. My life’s work is to make beautiful things, then I sell them to people who see that beauty, and you are part of that beauty. But, if it pleases you, I will keep this coin and not sell it.”

It was only then that she revealed her face to me.

Thank you all for reading and looking.

post-1955-1225818425.jpg

Archived