Haru-ko or broken author right!!!!!

Natasha

Hello everyone!

The strange situation, I've seen a copy of my netsuke on e-Bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...=tab%3DWatching

The netsuke Haru-ko has been carved for order, my collector asked to carve a Japanese girl, I did some drafts, he selected the draft of Haru-ko. http://www.natashapopova.com/people.htm Haru-ko was finished on April 18th of 2008. Haru-ko is not a well-known subject of Japanese legends, it was only my fantasy! It could not be done before, the seller on e-Bay wrote that it is from Private Collection - Michael Freas, PA - USA and carved from elephant tusk, I can say that the selling item is absolutely contemporary and was done some months ago. The name of seller is miguelradio I think he sells illegally !!!!! Probably he has several copies of every piece, I'm not sure that his elephant tusk is legal! It is awful feeling to see so ugly copy of my Haru-ko!

Natasha Popova

post-215-1221367538.jpg

post-215-1221367583.jpg

Fakes are around of many old masters like Van Gogh, Rembrandt, etc.

It seems to be that You are already in this circle with your creations.

How Jim sayd, I also would see it as (strange) kind of honour..........

Of course I understand You. Its ugly to work and deal with stolen ideas.

Maybe You can post this story in the INS forum, it would be a good information

to the netsuke collectors there.

Cornel

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Natasha,

I have not been here for a while and you post was the first to catch my interest. I am very sorry to hear this.

Isn't there a way of protecting your image/art as original through a copyright? I see this notice posted in carving books and on patterns. It seems to me that there must be a way of protecing proprietary work and pursuing and punishing violators. I know that counterfeiting is a very big business and many countries do not honor the copyright laws of other countries. Still, it is outrageous.

I can only say even a blind person would be able to discern the superiority of your work.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello Natasha,

I have not been here for a while and you post was the first to catch my interest. I am very sorry to hear this.

Isn't there a way of protecting your image/art as original through a copyright? I see this notice posted in carving books and on patterns. It seems to me that there must be a way of protecing proprietary work and pursuing and punishing violators. I know that counterfeiting is a very big business and many countries do not honor the copyright laws of other countries. Still, it is outrageous.

I can only say even a blind person would be able to discern the superiority of your work.

Dear Natasha, havent been on here for a while but I am sorry to see this fake copy of your work. but your work speaks louder for beauty and skill of a truly amazing artist

Hi Natasha,

I'm late seeing this and posting on it, but I want you to know I too feel your pain, and it is SAD when thieves like this are allowed to continue their practice. Your original is of obvious high quality and so much better than the copy. I see he has several items still listed as "Netsuke From Private Collection" with prices so low that you Must know they are fake. Did you contact eBay about this? You really should contact them with your documentation, as proof that these pieces (or at least yours) are fakes and ripped off from artists everywhere. At the very least your item could have been removed from eBay and the seller put on notice. It will never stop thieves such as this person but at least it slows down their "Free Ride". I would Still contact eBay as you never know what else of yours he has to sell. Perhaps we can get him to provide another of that piece for sale and catch him red handed.

Yes in some ways it is a compliment but not a very pleasant one and one you certainly could do without.

I have thoroughly enjoyed your work since joining TCP not long ago, Thanks for your unselfish sharing of your methods.

Cheers,

Benzart

Archived