ebony branch

joshua wood

Hi every one.

I was hoping someone on the carving path might be able to point me in the right direction.

I am looking for a piece of ebony or similar, very hard, finely grained wood in it's natural state. A section of branch that hasn't been cut into boards or blocks. nothing too large either.

If you get the "Wood Carvers Supply" catalog, you may have seen the type of piece I'm talking about. In one of their photos, they have a carving done in a piece of what looks like ebony. Here is a pic from their site.

post-1695-1221685803.jpg

I have been wanting to do something similar, with the carving fitting with the natural wood. However, all I have come across is standard cut stock.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance

Josh

I am looking for a piece of ebony or similar, very hard, finely grained wood in it's natural state. A section of branch that hasn't been cut into boards or blocks. nothing too large either.

If you get the "Wood Carvers Supply" catalog, you may have seen the type of piece I'm talking about. In one of their photos, they have a carving done in a piece of what looks like ebony. Here is a pic from their site.

post-1695-1221685803.jpg

I have been wanting to do something similar, with the carving fitting with the natural wood. However, all I have come across is standard cut stock.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance

Josh

This could be a peice of desert ironwood. No discernable grain, bark instinguishable from wood I got a sample at a rock and mineral show in Tuscon many years ago. I beleive it is illegal to collect from the desert in the US. Mine came from Mexico. It is used for carving in the Baja penninsula of Mexico

I ordered some more from a supplier in Ohio but never got it.

I was told there is some conceern about possibly toxic dust so be careful.

You can sometimes find natural wood at pet stores. They use it as habitat in terrariums. I have seen manzanita burl there. We have a plant store nearby (Michigan) that specializes in desert plants so that might alos be another place to look.

David

Archived