Just a quick hello...

Sentient Primate

Hello everyone,

:)

I joined the forum today, and thought I would write a quick note to introduce myself.

My name is Steve, and I reside in the UK. I am a complete beginner when it comes to engraving...or rather, I will be. I recently ordered a pneumatic engraver/carver from the States, which should arrive quite soon.

I'm mostly interested in wood as an engraving and carving medium. Glass engraving also looks good, and I'll certainly be doing some of that.

I have no plans to go commercial with my work, preferring to keep things at the hobby level.

I'm so glad I found this forum. I've been reading through previous posts, and see you are all masters of the craft. I am so looking forward to learning from all of you.

Enough for now, before this post takes on the proportions of a novel.

Regards,

Steve H

Hi Steve,

Welcome to The Carving Path forum. Thanks for the introduction. I hope that your interest in carving grows as the weeks and months go by while you are learning. Have fun and be just a little careful with the sharp tools!

Janel

Hi Janel,

Many thanks for the nice welcome Janel. My pneumatic carving/engraving tool is in customs as I write this. I'm looking forward to putting it to good use.

Good advice, reference the careful use of the tools..."thumb carving" is not the way forward!

Regards,

Steve H

Steve,

I'm curious which tool you're getting.

Hi Jim,

I'm getting a Turbo Carver. Here is a link to the website:

http://www.turbocarver.com/

I hope it is acceptable to post a link like this. Janel, please advise me if it is not acceptable, and I'll delete this post immediately.

Regards,

Steve H

Dropped a clanger? What a great phrase!

I hope your tool arrives shortly so that you can get busy with it!

Janel

I'm glad you like the phrase. "Dropping a clanger" is a well-established British idiom, meaning to make a (usually social) blunder. In British Army slang it is to make the sort of mistake that gives you nightmares. :)

My Turbo Carver is out of UK Customs. I'm on day shift this week, so I'm certain to miss the delivery.

My first project will likely be a small piece of "scroll work" (if that is the term), something with vines, leaves and swirly things. Maybe one of the simpler Celtic Knots. Something not too ambitious of course.

Regards,

Steve H

Archived