Holiday Weekend

Janel

Hi all,

My guys are gone for the weekend, doing a guy thing. It is just me and the girls (three cats). As soon as I am done here at the house, I get to answer to the carving bench and no one else for three days (if all goes according to my hopes)!!! :) Yaaaaie!!

With this big national holiday, are any of you traveling? I wish you a safe journey, and a happy time with family and friends.

Is any one taking this weekend to carve? Have fun and work with you dreams!

Warmest regards to all of you,

Janel

when I'm not on my bicycle this weekend (training for my first 100mile ride :) ) I'm going to try and sit down and start something new. I've had Spring fever like some others in the forum and just haven't done much carving for about 3 months now.

Full of ideas...but not sure which to pursue first-

I think I'm going to work on the subject of a chimney swift flying around a chimney pot(one of those old-timey terra-cotta ones you see on English rooftops). I want to keep things conceptually easy as I hope to try my hand at acid-oxidized staining with this one.

-Have a great weekend everyone

Our chimney swifts have just returned this week, cheering up the sky over the house. Until three years ago, perhaps for the 90 some years this house stood with a brick chimney, the swifts had made nests and raised young in it. The portion above the roof was dismantled and the roof fixed to have no chimney through it when the house was reroofed. I mourned the loss of the whirring babies and the bright sounds of the parents entering the column that goes through the heart of our house. I cried for weeks as I watched the adults flying to the spot that was their ancestral home, only to skim down the angle of the roof to try finding it again. Now the birds return every year, but must nest in some other chimney. I am heartened that they continue to return.

I look forward to seeing the next piece you do with the swift and chimney pot! Pictures?

Is the 100 mile ride a sponsored ride? My brother-in-law rides in the MS rides around Minnesota. Our little family has ridden the Saint Paul Classic a couple of times, which is a 32 mile ride around the city of Saint Paul. A nice family event in early September.

Have a great weekend,

Janel

pictures eh? I'll try... Your story has given me some ideas of how to tweak the composition a bit.

Is the 'Honeysuckle Hundred' supported? Well, they provide the starting line and a map, but that's about it. No cookie stops, SAG wagons or anything like that. Takes place in southern Indiana in June. ...Now if I can just get my bike saddle to conform to the shape of my posterior :) I've found riding gives me a chance to let my mind wander in creative directions, and I'm able to observe nature not quite at the pace of walking, but in a satisfying way nevertheless.

Speaking of Memorial Day, has anyone ever seen a hotdog netsuke? I've seen a great one of a stack of pancakes in ivory with amber syrup, and maybe even a hamburger, but never a hot dog. you could inlay the ketchup in coral :D

Archived