Guitar in basswood

Corky2

I've been visiting this forum on and off for a while now. I finally have something I can post. A friend at work asked me to carve a gift for her to give her husband. He's an avid guitar player so she took pictures of one of his guitars, a Guild, and I said I'd try to do it. I've got the basic shape and now I've started sanding and doing some of the final details. I'll be finishing it with just a neutral Watco wax so it will be the color of the wood which is a warm blond. The dimensions are 10 3/4 inches x 4 inches at the widest part of the body. Here are a few pictures.

post-452-1222990222.jpg

post-452-1222990247.jpg

post-452-1222990282.jpg

post-452-1222990300.jpg

I've got a long way to go to get good at carving. I recently joined a local wood carvers group and am planning a carving to put into the yearly show they have each spring.

Kitty

Hi Kitty,

It is good to see what you are doing! You have caught the character of the guitar! It will be treasured. What sort of detail will you be doing? What kind of wood is this being carved from?

I hope that you share a photo with us when it is finished!

Janel

Thanks for your kind words, Janel!

The wood is basswood. I'm not too adept yet so I thought it would be better to concentrate on getting a good shape and then doing enough detail to add interest but not so much that it would look fussy and show up the fact that I'm pretty new at this. I'll be doing low relief carving of the pick guard and the bridge, also the fretboard where it continues from the neck down to the soundhole. I'm planning to just suggest strings at a strategic spot or two and that's about it. I'll finish it by sanding and then the wax. It will be another few weeks before it's done as I am only able to work on it on weekends.

I want to say that reading the various threads in this forum has been an inspiration for me even though I haven't really participated. The tutorials have been fascinating. The pictures of work spaces and tools are very helpful. The tenor of the discussions, the wide range of people's styles of work and their various materials - there is so much here! This is a great resource!

I'll post a couple more pictures here when I finish the guitar. Thanks again for your interest!

Kitty

• 3 weeks later...

Archived