Intro

Bev

Hi to all--

I've been lurking for months and months--you are all a very talented bunch! As a wayward metalsmith, I don't carve "realistically" but, I am inspired by the "real" world-well,sort of...so, I hope I can fit in.

Img_7857.jpg

"Flying Whimsey" 2008

1 9/16" x 9/16"

Beverly A. Carter

Copper, sterling silver, a bit o' brass, and 14kt gold

Img_7778.jpg

"The Wall" 2008

Beverly A. Carter

Sterling silver ring

This was a cast "blank". The center rope was carved directly into the silver.

Img_7755.jpg

"MY World, MY Compass" 2008

Beverly A. Carter

Cast and fabricated sterling silver,copper,brass and 14kt gold

Moss Agate

Img_7723.jpg

Side Detail

Hi Bev,

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing the photos of your work!

Janel

Thanks, Janel for the warm welcome! I have been wondering how the show in Evanston,IL turned out for you? I had planned to go (Evanston is old stomping grounds for me and not too far away) but some thing came up at the last minute. Did I miss your post?

Bev.

Welcome to to The Path, Bev. I'm enjoying your work, especially the compass. How did you texture the silver rings around the the agate? Also, do the rings form a gimbal?

Hi Tom,

I included the compass especially for you! Thought you might find it fun (I've been checking out your work, too. Fine stuff!)

The texture was created by using a #o needle file-basically, I filed a pattern into the metal. The rings did form a gimbal while I was constructing the piece--I opted for more stability in the final hour as eventually this will either become a pendant or pocket art. The compass points do turn though for the "nervous" folks.

Thanks so much--Bev.

Hi Bev,

Evanston was quite a different show experience for me this year. Some years ago at this show, I had a hugely successful response, but this year, a large number of exhibitors were quite seriously affected by the economic state of the audience. Evanston is not the only show to have felt this cautious situation. The Smithsonian Craft Show was also. For the second time in my life I sold not a single thing. The first time was due to a show being in it's first year, with no audience base. This time, the audience was fearful of loosing their homes. Serious stuff. Life is not easy for those of us whose life's work is non-essential to survival.

Thanks for asking, I may not have been able to mention the results in a post, but now I am looking towards the future.

Janel

Hi to all--

I've been lurking for months and months--you are all a very talented bunch! As a wayward metalsmith, I don't carve "realistically" but, I am inspired by the "real" world-well,sort of...so, I hope I can fit in.

Img_7857.jpg

"Flying Whimsey" 2008

1 9/16" x 9/16"

Beverly A. Carter

Copper, sterling silver, a bit o' brass, and 14kt gold

Img_7778.jpg

"The Wall" 2008

Beverly A. Carter

Sterling silver ring

This was a cast "blank". The center rope was carved directly into the silver.

Img_7755.jpg

"MY World, MY Compass" 2008

Beverly A. Carter

Cast and fabricated sterling silver,copper,brass and 14kt gold

Moss Agate

Img_7723.jpg

Side Detail

Bev,

I'm new here, (and feeling totally inadequate), but I think that your compass piece is great. I'd sure like to see it opened up an all of its axis.

J.J. Smith

Bev,

I'm new here, (and feeling totally inadequate), but I think that your compass piece is great. I'd sure like to see it opened up an all of its axis.

J.J. Smith

Thanks J.J. This piece is pretty much a "done deal" but, maybe next time.

Happy carving-Bev.

Archived