Kokopu Pod

Donn Salt

Hey Janel,

Following discussions on image attachments here is one of the other pics intended to post the other day. Has been bought down to under the 28k remaining so lets see how we go with this.

I'm now informed there is 3.87k left.

The image is of a jade pod carved from a relatively scarce variety of NZ nephrite

termed 'kokopu', translated as 'mountain trout' which is taken from the similar colors and dark spots of this shy creature.

Size ....approx. 3" Completed about 6 weeks ago.

post-97-1117758164.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Thanks........ a combination of stone quality and surface finishing tend to mislead the eye as to the actual material. Your comments appreciated.

No Janel, there is no chatoyance in this particular piece although I do wear a similar one that is very much so. The apparent sheen in the photo is from a very fine sand blasted surface, gives a nice subtle glow to the surface without the sharp light reflections as I've used on the 'wet lips' of this piece.

Hi guys,

Thanks........ a combination of stone quality and surface finishing tend to mislead the eye as to the actual material. Your comments appreciated.

No Janel, there is no chatoyance in this particular piece although I do wear a similar one that is very much so. The apparant sheen in the photo is from a very fine sand blasted surface, gives a nice subtle glow to the surface without the sharp light reflections as I've used on the 'wet lips' of this piece.

When you start to play with your stone Katheen be aware to keep the form very simple while you learn how the material responds. Where jade is concerned I've not experienced two stones the same. All have their own idiosyncranicities. (is there such a word?) I'm sure you know what I mean. Play and learn.

I would advise anyone starting out on 'hard stone' to experiment with something like hard greywackes pebbles as found in streams, rivers, beaches, garden centers, etc.

Anything beyond marking with a pocket knife.

Your rather enticing antler crown illustrates you shouldn't have too many problems with design and form.

Evolvments of this organic form have happened as hand fondling sculptures Dick.

Upwards of 5" for the largest, about 4" seems about the optimum though.

Cheers Donn

Archived