Rosa

joseph

post-1955-1227669690.jpg

There are many young girls who are pure Indian blood that live here in this fishing villaage on the coast of Guerro Mexico. They are quite shy and will not pose for a photo. This girl comes to an English class that my wife Franca teaches, her name is Rosa Ixthzele. This coin was difficult for me to engrave because her skin is a milk chocolate color and I am accustomed to Caucasian facial structure and features. I gave it my best effort but when I showed her the coin she was not happy with the results.

post-1955-1227669526.jpg

Hello Joseph,

People can be very critical of images made of their own person. What they are seeing in the mirror is one view, but the image in their mind's eye, and seeing what others see through expression in their art, each of these images or ideas of images of the same person will likely all be different. I find the image beautiful in its own way. It cannot be easy to capture a real person on such a small surface.

Thank you for showing us Rosa.

Janel

Hello Janel, Thank you for commenting on Rosa.The coin that now carries her portrait is slightly larger than an American half dollar. I have been engraving for many years now.Originally on antique weapons until my retirement from the trade.Now I am enjoying working on smaller less demanding things.I will post other coins as they are completed.

Joseph Engraver

Archived