Hokusai and netsuke

fkvesic

No to both questions, Janel. In fact, I can't even remember where I picked this up, but presumably the mei in the gourd would identify it as Hokusai. It's an odd subject for him, though.

I've a puzzle at home, too. Some years ago, an art dealer friend gave us a picture as a present, a brush and ink sketch of eight miniature figures, washed in grey and pink, which he said was by Hokusai and was from one of his own sketchbooks, not his etched/printed manga. Unlike his etchings, which have mainly hard outlines, these tiny figures are definitely drawn quickly with a brush and the brush work is beautiful - so assured. I've not seen another Hokusai like it, though the washes on his manga and his use of humour are similar. One of these days, I'll get round to finding out more about it; until then, I just love it:

post-1947-1227971467.jpg

c. 80% life size

Many thanks, Richard. I had a feeling it might be a tobacco pouch.

Could each painter be a self portrait of himself? Or perhaps portraits of other artists of the time? It is very interesting to think about. Was he making notes about each person and style of painting, or is it a whole story?

I like the subtle action portrayed on the middle left image, that has the left foot weighted while stepping off of the right foot, whose underside is looking out at the viewer. It has a pleasing movement.

Janel

If I may say, Hokusai was a sort of Norman Rockwell of Japan, he had a habit of painting self portraits in his paintings. I have two books of his work and have yet to find these two paintings or any of this style. I will keep up the hunt for something for you, please give me time.

Regards,

Debbie

ps the signature on this work is not Hokusai's

It looks to me as though there are two portraits going on, Janel - the fatter painter and the thinner one. Which one might be Hokusai, I don't know. Also, the ones on the right look as though they might be wearing Chinese clothes, while the ones on the left and the women seem to be wearing Japanese costume and the central woman's pose is definitely Japanese.

I agree about the subtlety in the figure you mention and also like the subtle humour of the painter painting the painters painting - if you get my meaning.

Debbie, thank you; I definitely think this is worth more investigtion. I don't really mind if it ends up not being a Hokusai - I'd love it just as much.

I didn't take offence, Debbie - no need to apologise. I was grateful for your offer, but understand why you feel as you do now. I also have doubts about whether it's truly a Hokusai, and some day I'll check up on the sketch; meanwhile, I'll just enjoy it for what it is.

Hi Debbie,

Could you help me with some Japanese drawings I have in my collection? I have one 8"x12" scrapbook with 92 drawings pasted onto the pages and fifty 11"x15" pages with 66 more drawings some of these drawings are full page. Some of the drawings are pencil most are finely drawn brush lines over pencil. They are Meiji 25, 26 and 27 and the dealer said they were by Yamazaki Ken or Ryosho. The drawings were mixed up with brush paintings of birds, horses and flowers with different chops. Do you have any idea who this artist is or where he worked? The dates and names were on the cover pages of the group's of drawings and paintings. I think the names might be the collector who put the sets togrther. Here is an example. I can post more if you need them.

Thanks,

Dick

post-15-1228058751.jpg

post-15-1228058831.jpg

Archived